Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New fill

1. Back To Top    #1

New fill

I added the cya several days ago tied in pantyhose & hanging from a float while the pool was still filling, had a bad pump and didn't get the filter running until yesterday 1 pm. The filter has been running for 23 hr so far. I squeezed the cya in front of the return and it ripped several nice sized holes in the pantyhose spilling the some granules on the bottom of the pool. I hooked up the vacuum and sucked it up as i was scared it might mess up the liner.
    There is still a pound or maybe two in the sock that hasn't dissolved yet. My question is at what point can my wife and kids get in this pool. Will it be o.k. If i take out the cya while we are in it, or do we have to wait.

Also with an above ground and vinyl liner should i try to get my calcium up or is it o.k. Where it is. Any other advise also would be much appreciated.

Happy memorial day.
    Thanks

(HAVEN'T PUT ANY CHEMICALS IN YET TODAY TO GET MY FC UP)
    fc .5
    cc .5
    ph 7.5
    ta 110
    ch 50
    cya 25
    Last edited by cosmic charlie; 05-26-2014 at 10:46 AM. Reason: MORE INFO
    13.5 k gallon, AG Swim n' Play Inc. Islamorda 24 ft. round , Pentair Dynamo 1.5 HP Pump, Pentair Sand Dollar SD40 sand filter 40GPM.
    Install 5/20/14

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New fill

I've spent many an hour in the pool while my cya in a knee-hi was dissolving in the skimmer basket. Your calcium is just fine-usually where mine is for 5 years now.

FC UP!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Get some chlorine in your pool today.

It's fine to go swimming......you can leave the CYA in the sock....why not put it out of the way in the skimmer?

You can disregard CH.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Just stick that soggy mess in another nylon and drop it in the skimmer or set it aside in a bucket while people are in the pool. It's not especially dangerous to leave it in, but someone may try to play football with it and break it open again.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

As far as I know, you can swim with the CYA sock in the pool.

No, with a vinyl liner you don't need to worry about your CH. you might think about shipping some of that water to some of the others here with high CH problems!

You do need to add FC, all the way to your target CYA level. Once it starts dissolving, you treat your pool as if it's already in there.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

I read where it says cc over .5 should be slammed. Do i need to do that since i am at .5 now or am i fine.

Also should i add the bleach based on my current cya level or on the anticipated level once it dissoves.
    Thanks
    13.5 k gallon, AG Swim n' Play Inc. Islamorda 24 ft. round , Pentair Dynamo 1.5 HP Pump, Pentair Sand Dollar SD40 sand filter 40GPM.
    Install 5/20/14

7. Back To Top    #7

I'd just get it up to your target CYA level ^^^^^see answer above.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic charlie View Post
    I read where it says cc over .5 should be slammed. Do i need to do that since i am at .5 now or am i fine.

Also should i add the bleach based on my current cya level or on the anticipated level once it dissoves.
    Thanks
    If your at 0.5 your fine. Rule of thumb on the CC test. If it takes one drop to turn back to clear your fine. If it takes more than one drop you've got something going one that would need attention.
    Once your CYA is starting to dissolve base your FC on the range you targeted for. Don't bother testing the CYA level for a week. Just assume it's there until you test for it. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

9. Back To Top    #9

CC level of .5 doesn't mean too much----one hot sunny day can burn that off.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

10. Back To Top    #10

We swim with a CYA sock on the skimmer.. I just use a plain old white sock tied off at the top. Nothing special.. I added 2lbs the other day and it's not even 50% dissolved yet.

11. Back To Top    #11

I also used a plain old white sock tied to a rope that I dangled in front of the return jet, then periodically gave it a few squeezes over the course of a couple days. That worked just fine...oh, and we swam while this was going on with no problems!
    24' Round Above Ground - 13,500 gal, Cartridge Filter, Installed on 5-7-14, First Time Pool Owner! TFP True Believer!