My first results after completing SLAM - low PH, slightly high alkalinity

May 16, 2014
Poughkeepsie, NY
Hello
I did a 7 day SLAM and have let the chlorine fall. I did a full test today and have the following numbers:

FC=5.5
CC=0
PH < 7.0 .. the tests lowest indicator is 7.0 and it was lighter than this. I tried the base demand test and it was 3 drops to bring it to a normal range
Alkalinity = 120
CH=160

The table at the back of the taylor book indicates 3 pounds of soda ash to fix PH for my pool. I will see what the pool calculator says.

My alkalinity is still slightly high but it usually goes down over time. I am not sure if I should alter my PH increase procedure given higher alkalinity?

Thanks
Scott

Odds are that aerating the water will bring the pH up at no added expense. Free is good.

Point the return eyeballs up to ripple the water. If you have a spillover spa, set it on max bubbles. If you need to add water, don;t just drop the hose in, put the spray nozzle on the hose and tie it to a ladder or something so it churns up the surface. Put a sprinkler head on and just let it hang upside down over the rim. Build an aerator out of PCV. Tell the kids to get in and have a splash fight. Anything to get the water surface moving.

CYA should be raised. Work up to your target, zero could still mean you have 20, so proceed slowly. Assume you have 20 and add 20, weigh it out in a sock, and set it in the skimmer.

Hello
TA is 130, do I need to do anything?

I had already added 3 lbs of Soda Ash when I saw the reply, sorry. But my PH is indeed 7.5 now so looking much better there.
FC=3.0 and CC=0 today.

My CYA has now started registering. I had dipped a test strip in the pool and noticed there was some color in the CYA portion and did the official test and noticed its a little over 30.

So I have turned the auto-chlorinator to the lowest setting and will be using liquid from this point on. The only issue I see now is the slightly high alkalinity, do I take action there or just let it slip downward?

Thanks
Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.