Opinions on relocating pump station

Medeco

May 24, 2014
Atlanta
Hi

We are new pool owners and are now wishing we had pushed harder for a different pump location. Not only is it an eyesore it is also making drainage difficult. We ultimately do not want a retaining wall and landscaped this way.

My question is, with my current pump, a 1hp Hayward, will it be too taxing on the pump to move it back and up to the back of my fence or close? The vertical rise would be about 10ft from the bottom of the pool, and an additional 25/30ft back.

What would you do?

Pump is on the far right of this pic.

Lower by a couple of feet is fine. You might want to install two valves to close off the plumbing so the pool doesn't try to drain through the pump each time you open the pump strainer basket, but that is easy.

Are you sure that is 6' rise? If you stand by the filter and look horizontally with a level, does the hill rise above the top of the filter? The hill doesn't look like it rises above the filter which is only 3' high. Priming at that level is not so bad and probably an easier move. Although no matter what it is a lot of digging.

You might just consider building a shed around it. If by drainage, you mean the backwash, you could put in a separate backwash line to another location.

What maters is the pump to water level (top) distance. In your case right now, that is probably less than 1 foot. Water seeks it's own level so the water below the water line adds static head (+PSI) so that is not included in the lift distance.

What I was interested in is how far up the pump will have to move. So if the hill is level with the top of the filter, then the pump would need to move up 3' which is still fine. In fact, if the pump moved up 6', priming would be challenging but possible. I think several people on the forum have pumps that high. The key is to have valves or check valves so that it makes priming easier.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.