Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opinions on relocating pump station

1. Back To Top    #1

Opinions on relocating pump station

Hi

We are new pool owners and are now wishing we had pushed harder for a different pump location. Not only is it an eyesore it is also making drainage difficult. We ultimately do not want a retaining wall and landscaped this way.

My question is, with my current pump, a 1hp Hayward, will it be too taxing on the pump to move it back and up to the back of my fence or close? The vertical rise would be about 10ft from the bottom of the pool, and an additional 25/30ft back.

What would you do?

Pump is on the far right of this pic.
    IG pool, vinyl, 35k gallons, Hayward 1hp super pump series, Hayward top mount sand pump S244T with vari-flo XL, SWG-Saline Generating systems Breeze 540, Hayward SharkVac XL,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opinions on relocating pump station

25 feet horizontally is no problem, but a 10 foot vertical rise is probably too much to be able to prime the pump.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

What is the vertical rise from the SURFACE of the water to the proposed pump location?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

About 6ft, but my thoughts were to figure from the lowest point of the plumbing.

5. Back To Top    #5

If the rise is too much, my next though is to extend the plumbing and electrical to the left side of the house in this pic. That will put the pump lower than the waterline by 3ft max.

6. Back To Top    #6

Lower by a couple of feet is fine. You might want to install two valves to close off the plumbing so the pool doesn't try to drain through the pump each time you open the pump strainer basket, but that is easy.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Are you sure that is 6' rise? If you stand by the filter and look horizontally with a level, does the hill rise above the top of the filter? The hill doesn't look like it rises above the filter which is only 3' high. Priming at that level is not so bad and probably an easier move. Although no matter what it is a lot of digging.

You might just consider building a shed around it. If by drainage, you mean the backwash, you could put in a separate backwash line to another location.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

So, top of the filter to water line hight is/should be point of reference in determining hight difference? I was figuring the plumbing that is buried at the bottom of the pool sidewalls.

9. Back To Top    #9

This is only a small adjustment from what you said, but use the bottom of the pump inlet pipe to the top of the water for determining height difference.

10. Back To Top    #10

What maters is the pump to water level (top) distance. In your case right now, that is probably less than 1 foot. Water seeks it's own level so the water below the water line adds static head (+PSI) so that is not included in the lift distance.

What I was interested in is how far up the pump will have to move. So if the hill is level with the top of the filter, then the pump would need to move up 3' which is still fine. In fact, if the pump moved up 6', priming would be challenging but possible. I think several people on the forum have pumps that high. The key is to have valves or check valves so that it makes priming easier.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

11. Back To Top    #11

That's all very helpful, thank you!

12. Back To Top    #12

Also, go up one pipe size to reduce the effect of the longer run. That looks like 1.5" PVC. I would go to 2" for the extension runs.

13. Back To Top    #13

So just convert up at the point in currently exits the ground?

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Medeco View Post
    So just convert up at the point in currently exits the ground?
    Yes.

15. Back To Top    #15

Is there a consensus on which brand/type of check valve to use? Should I leave it above ground for future repairs?

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

Jandy-type (repairable) valves are best. yes...absolutely above ground.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School