SWG Startup

May 26, 2014
St Louis, MO
Hello:

Very new to pools/pool maintenance. I installed an AGP DIY late summer last year. After finding this site, I realized I am very ignorant of pool maintenance. I followed all directions included with pool pump, etc., instructions quite unclear on startup. Pool was fairly clean when we uncovered this year. We cleaned, brushed, vacuumed, ran system. Tested with strips, just ordered Taylor K-2006.

Do pools have to be SLAMed every year? My basic understanding is test CYA, shock to appropriate FC, overnite test, bring CYA up to recommended level.

Am I correct in stating Desired levels for SWG:

Free Chlorine: 5
CYA: 70

After adding bleach to shock FC level, do I test every night/morning to see FC loss? If more than 1ppm, do I add more bleach to re-obtain shock FC level? When FC loss is <1ppm, do I keep filter/pump running until FC lowers to desired level, 5 for example? I am assuming no SWG running during this entire process. What is safe FC level to swim in?

I know I have alot of questions. Thank you for your knowledge and responses.

Welcome to the forum.

Only slam if you need to----not necessarily required after every opening if closed properly.
Fc of 4 to 5 is fine with your SWG on a normal basis----some can get by with 3.
CYA of 70 should work.
Test often enough to keep your SLAM level where it needs to be.
You can safely swim up to SLAM value for your CYA-------IF you can clearly see the bottom (safety first).
You can use the SWG during daytime to help maintain SLAM level if you can't be there to check and add...........just not during OCLT time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.