White Powder on Bottom of Pool

May 26, 2014
Valrico, FL
Welcome to TFP!:wave: I started a new Thread for your post. Please start a new Thread whenever you have a question or new topic as opposed to posting your question on someone else's Thread (we call that practice "hijacking"). Plus, posting your question in a new Thread is more likely to get responses. --BoDarville, TFP Moderator

Please help! We have a salt generator. My husband had the level way down for some reason, at any rate, we finally have all the pool levels up to the right readings. However, we keep getting this white powder settle on the bottom of the pool. I think he is using to much DE, but he wont listen to me. We have cleaned the filter, we have back-washed the pool, we have brushed it down, let it settle, swept it out through the main drain. No matter what we do, every day, it still has white stuff in it. I think it smells like moth balls. Also, I don't think the skimmer is working correctly as NOTHING seems to come off the surface of the pool either. If there is a bug, he stays, if there is a leaf, it just stays in the pool. Based on only what I have told you, what do you think it is? Is it possible something is coming through the solar lines? I am so frustrated but dont want to call a professional behind his back.
I just don't want whatever this stuff is to harm my son if he is swimming in the pool.
Thank you in advance!!

Welcome to TFP!

You have mentioned several details about your pool (DE, SWG, solar lines). One thing that would help us is to add information about your pool to your signature. By doing so, it will automatically appear on all your posts. Since you have a salt pool, I would include the letters SWG in your signature so it stands out. This is important since the answer to a question for salt vs. non-salt pools is often different. Here's how to add/edit a signature: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/9908-What-we-need-to-know-to-answer-your-questions

Hi Jen,
Dont know if I can help in determining what the stuff on the pool floor is, but hopefully I can ease your mind about the DE.

Im sure your concern is that DE may be considered dangerous if the dust is breathed. Key word here is dust.
DE is microskeletons of tiny tiny tiny animals, so breathing it can coat the lungs and very possibly cause issues with the respiratory system, given enough of it over time.

DE on the bottom of the pool even thouch concerning, is relatively harmless. We ingest much worse than that in every day life. I wouldnt suggest drinking a glass of it though.

I hope this helps,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.