Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: waiting on filter vs. using flocculant??

1. Back To Top    #1

waiting on filter vs. using flocculant??

Hey there... new to the forum here. My husband and I have gotten tired of blindly throwing away hundreds of dollars at the pool store (and not understanding why we needed the chemicals they recommended), and I found y'all during a google hunt that I did to find a better way. Anyway, I have been slamming our pool for the past five days. We also had to partially drain and fill our pool TWICE to get out CYA down. Now it is at 40. I have not lost any FC for the last six tests (two days or so) and my CC has stayed under .5. BUT our pool is still cloudy. We have a sand filter and a huge pool, so I know it will take some time. But my question is, would there be any use for a flocculant, or would it mess with my chemistry? I am very happy with the numbers and I'm still slamming. Just want to get the thing clear. Here are the numbers from this morning:

FC 15
    CC .5 (or less, I was using the more concentrated sample, prior to that I had been getting .2)
    PH 7.7
    TA 150
    CH 130
    CYA 40

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: waiting on filter vs. using flocculant??

I made a signature but it's not showing up on my post...? I have a 35,000 gallon vinyl in-ground pool (25 years old) with a Hayward 1.5 HP sand filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Your situation is typical after a SLAM, especially if algae was present. I would recommend adding either DE or cellulose fiber to your sand filter to help filter out these particles quicker. Both products perform the same function although I personally prefer the cellulose fiber because it is a bit safer to handle and I have first-hand experience using it. With either product, the process of adding it to your filter is the same, as described here: Add DE to sand filter.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

You can try floc if you want, but only if your system has the ability to vacuum to waste. Floc costs money, doesn't always work, and tends to be a fair bit of effort. When it works it does speed things up dramatically. Vacuuming to waste is important, otherwise the floc can clog up your filter.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks so much for your responses. We are able to vacuum to waste, and my husband has successfully used flocculant before, so he just keeps asking "do you think we should try flocculant?" We might look into getting cellulose fiber. The DE sorta scares me a bit. I was just afraid that my chemistry would get messed up if I added the flocculant. But the pool is slowly clearing, so maybe we'll just be patient. Thanks again for your input.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I do not believe any chemistry problems would result from using floc. It's biggest drawback is that it quite often doesn't work, and can even make things worse.

If you are seeing even just the LITTLEST bit of daily clearing, I would leave things alone and let your filter do it's job.

Let us know how it turns out.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm not sure if any of you will see this, but I wanted to give an update... I decided not to use flocculant, and the pool is clear today (four days since I started this thread). I really appreciate your help and moral support. I am so thankful for this website!

8. Back To Top    #8

We see everything

Congratulations!!!
    and Welcome again
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Thanks for the follow-up. Congrats! Nice work.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School