Autopilot Dig 220 not working correctly?

drb

Sep 15, 2013
Buffalo,NY
This is the first season I am using a Autopilot Dig 220 with a SC36 cell and I am not sure if it is operating correctly. I started with FC of 4ppm and it is dropping. I set it at 50% per instructions and sometimes if I look at the display it shows different valves. Once it read 12 another time 25 and yet another 76%. Is this normal, is this showing changes because of the temperature sensing adjustment? The water temp started out cold [64] but been heating and it got up to [74].

Thanks and any help is appricated,
Daren

That all sounds normal. The AutoPilot units change the percentage for you as the water temperature varies.

If the FC level is too low, turn up the percentage setting.

Tanks for the quick reply. I thought maybe the AP always showed your setting [mine @ 50%] and did the temp adjustment without showing the rate. What seemed strange to me was that the warmer water tep showed a lower chorine rate. I thought it shouldbe the other way.

Also I raised the power setting from 1 up to 2. I believe this will also increase clorine production.

Thanks
Daren

This is a minor drawback I noticed with the automatic temp control

It seems to be dependent on the water temp *at the time of setting the purifier %* (then again, what other temp could it depend on?)

For someone in the northeast like me, this means when I set it to 20% with the water at 65 degrees (opening temp), once the water warms up for the summer the run % could be upwards of 80%. This could lead to overchlorination. Or not. I just wont know until it happens.

To me, it would be nice to have the ability to disable the temp control....at least for the above case when the water is really cold but you still want some chlorine generated into it to help clear it up after opening, etc. Once summer comes around I will appreciate the auto control.

While you saw the numbers going up and down opposite of what you thought would happen, it could just be a case of the water temp being colder than when you initially set it. I *think* setting it back to 0 and then bringing the purifier % back up makes the current water temp the new "pivot point".

It really works quite well. Stop thinking about what the current % number is, and just turn it up when FC is low and turn it down when FC is too high. It will take care of the rest.

Much of your speculation is wrong, but none of that stuff matters. It just works and there is no point in trying to think about it.

It really works quite well. Stop thinking about what the current % number is, and just turn it up when FC is low and turn it down when FC is too high. It will take care of the rest.

Much of your speculation is wrong, but none of that stuff matters. It just works and there is no point in trying to think about it.

I should have qualified it with "just a guess" :) there is a lot about SWGs that I dont know, I would like to know more but it seems AutoPilot has a lot of closely guarded secrets.

I dont mind, like you said I just crank it up when the FC test says I should.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.