Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: dang ducks!!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

dang ducks!!!!

Some ducks have found a pool I work on
    They are crapping in it everyday.
    How concerned should I be with all of the duck **** in the pool?
    Ph 7.5
    Alk 80
    Cal 300
    Fc 4.5
    Cc 0
    Cya 30
    Swg commercial pool.

TIA
    PF

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: dang ducks!!!!

As noted in the scientific paper Occurrence of Cryptosporidium and Giardia in Wild Ducks along the Rio Grande River Valley in Southern New Mexico, wild ducks may carry some protozoan oocysts but not as much Cryptosporidium as Canadian geese carry. Also, it seemed that the species of these pathogens in wild ducks were avian species and not the ones associated with human infection.

So it would be safer to somehow dissuade the ducks from using the pool as a toilet. You can search this forum for "scaring ducks away" or similar terms but I didn't see any significantly effective solutions when I briefly perused such threads.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Try putting a couple of big colorful balls in your pool and let them Float around. It keeps the ducks away.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

4. Back To Top    #4

We now have the same problem. I haven't found a way to keep them out just yet. I also never have caught them in the act. They leave plenty of mallard feathers and poop behind.....
    Finally completed March 2014
    IG 27,300 gal 35'x16' 3.5'/5.5'/8' diving pool, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, De FNS 60, 3HP Intelliflo VF pump, Easy Touch 4, Kreapy Krauly Platnium, 3/4 Hp booster pump, raised stone wall w/ 2 stone scuppers, Stonescapes aqua blue mini pebble plaster

5. Back To Top    #5

I found the plastic snakes from Wal-Mart, set on the coping or floated on a floatie seem to keep the local mallards away. I had a nesting couple in my pool everyday last year. Talk about a mes... I have green and orange snakes.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by techguy View Post
    I found the plastic snakes from Wal-Mart, set on the coping or floated on a floatie seem to keep the local mallards away. I had a nesting couple in my pool everyday last year. Talk about a mes... I have green and orange snakes.
    Worth a try. Do the snakes keep other birds away too? Don't think our owl is scaring many birds away. We move it regularly, but we have plently black birds diving bombing our pool.
    Finally completed March 2014
    IG 27,300 gal 35'x16' 3.5'/5.5'/8' diving pool, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, De FNS 60, 3HP Intelliflo VF pump, Easy Touch 4, Kreapy Krauly Platnium, 3/4 Hp booster pump, raised stone wall w/ 2 stone scuppers, Stonescapes aqua blue mini pebble plaster

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Pool_Fool View Post
    Some ducks have found a pool I work on
    They are crapping in it everyday.
    How concerned should I be with all of the duck **** in the pool?
    Ph 7.5
    Alk 80
    Cal 300
    Fc 4.5
    Cc 0
    Cya 30
    Swg commercial pool.

TIA
    PF
    easy problem you have there..... here are some simple solutions:

1. Roasted
    2. Saute'd
    3. If you have any deer meat, deer and duck kabobs are nice this time of year, especially while sitting in your lounger at the pool with an alcoholic beverage.
    4. My ultimate favorite: Duck stuffed jalepeno peppers. You get some of that phildelphia cream cheese, puree the jalepenos to make the stuffing along with some other spices. Then you butterfly the breasts and stuff them, wrapping the whole thing in a thick piece of applewood smoked bacon. 300 degrees on the grille for about 10-15 minutes, leaving the meat slightly pink...... you dont want to overcook duck. You havent lived til you have had duck stuffed jalapeno peppers.

You start hunting them in season around there, you wont have an issue anymore. cooked right, its good too. so is canadian goose. I have a freezer full of both.
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

8. Back To Top    #8

Deja Vu all over again:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-I-hate-birds-!!!

Fishing line
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

I have found the answer to this!! FISHING LINE!! Put 3 or 4 pieces of fishing line across the pool at different directions... It throws off the ducks "radar" if you will, to land! I had 2 sets of ducks that were coming to my pool everymorning! Started tossing a few lines over the pool when im not using it and it works like a charm! Let me know if this helps you to!
    30' 22k Gallons
    ECCO 1.5 hp 19" sand filter w/ aqua smart filtration system
    AGP

10. Back To Top    #10

+1 on the fishing line.

Early last year I had a HUGE problem with grackles dropping "poop sacs" into the pool. I bought an owl which worked fantastic but this year the birds would land right next to him or fly over the pool and drop the sacs into the pool and all over the top rails.

I jammed three 10' tall pieces of conduit into the ground and ran fishing line around the poles - about 2" from the top - making a triangle then added a couple more runs of line over the triangle. The birds make a quick turn once they see the fishing line and I've had no more poop in or on the pool.

I might add a 4th pole and make a square around the pool then add 4 lines running N-S and 4 E-W and tie them off to the caps, will look a little neater.
    21' AG (~11,000 gallons)
    Hayward S180T sand filter (35 gpm)
    Hayward Power-Flow SP1510 pump

11. Back To Top    #11

We use life sized coyote plywood cutouts painted black to discourage birds in general from hanging around.
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump