Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Now I have a question about timers

1. Back To Top    #1

Now I have a question about timers

Since we've lived here, our pool has been "on" non-stop. In doing some research on this site, though, it appears that isn't necessary? When I had a pool service come out initially, they said turning it off and on through the day might save a few bucks in electricity each month, but that was it. Frankly, I'm not even sure if we have an auto timer. Is it really worth it?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Now I have a question about timers

Running the pump 24/7 is probably overkill. Every pool is different, but most seem to only need 4-10 hours per day.

Whether or not its "worth it" to put in a timer depends on how much it will cost to install it, your electric rates, etc.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

How big is your pool? There are lot of factors to consider on how long the pool pump needs to run, Do you have a single speed pump or variable speed pump, two speed and VS pumps are energy efficient. In my case i run my pump only 10 hours daily and I don't want to run it for 24 hours (my pool pump is oversized unnecessarily and its a energy monger). I have simple Intermatic timer with freeze protection thermostat, it takes care of two things

1. Automatically on and off my pump based on my configuration.
    2. During winter, I configured to start and run the pump if temperature falls below 37 F
    This basic automation is worth it for me.

Please post your pool specification in the signature so that experts from this forum can give you a specific recommendation.
    13K gal, IG, Gunite pool with raised spa water spill over to pool, built on 2005
    1.5 HP Hayward MaxFlo VS - June 2014
    DE Filter Model # DE6020
    Added Borates on Jun 2014

4. Back To Top    #4

It is worth it if saving a few hundred dollars per year is worth it to you (exact amount depends on size of the pool pump, electric rates, etc.)
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

I would definitely thinking about installing a timer. At first I was turning my pump on before I left for work then off after I would get home...wasting a lot of electric. I then calculated the run time with the gpm and feet of head to find out that 4 hours of run time will turn through the water. Just to be safe I have a timer that will run 3 hours in the a.m and 3 hours in the p.m and I can see the difference on com ed bill.

Fiberglass/Concrete IG
    Pool Size: 16500 gallons
    Filter: Hayward S244T Pro Series Top-Mount Sand Filter
    Pump: Hayward 1 HP Super Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Not to mention the wear and tear on the pump itself. Determining how much run time you actually need and installing a timer vs running 24/7 could easily extend the life of your pump motor significantly.

Running 24/7 could be expensive on the electric bill, but having to replace the pump simply because it wore out in a relatively short period of time is a double whammy.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, I added a signature but the sad truth is, that's all I know. I need to get back and inspect things more carefully when I have alone time (I have a three year old who I can't escape from ). There might even be a timer back there for all I know. I've been able to maintain chemistry pretty well thus far but would really like to know more about how the whole thing works.
    NE Louisiana
    25k gallon IG 16x30 vinyl liner pool
    Hayward Super Pump 1.5HP
    Intermatic timer, ~8hr/day
    Sand filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    Not to mention the wear and tear on the pump itself. Determining how much run time you actually need and installing a timer vs running 24/7 could easily extend the life of your pump motor significantly.

Running 24/7 could be expensive on the electric bill, but having to replace the pump simply because it wore out in a relatively short period of time is a double whammy.
    I read that a lot on this site, but the hardest conditions on the motor during runtime is startup...It's the same reason you never burn out light bulbs except when you turn them on. Turning the pump on and off saves on energy and probably the pump seals, but it's harder on the motor due to current inrush. I don't have an opinion on which is right or wrong (I run mine all the time), but wanted to clear this up a bit.

9. Back To Top    #9

For a centrifugal pump, there isn't much of a "large" current in-rush than say an AC compressor which is huge. In fact, the current ramps up with the motor RPM because the starting load is very close to 0. Pump torque is proportional to the RPM of the impeller. So at start there is virtually no load on the impeller. As the motor spins up, the load and current increase but again, the pump does not have full load until the motor is at full RPM and the amps never exceed that at full RPM. So I don't think there is much "wear and tear" on the motor due to cycling. However, for motors with a centrifugal switch, there is more wear on the switch so that might wear out faster but it can also be maintained.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater