Is this PH Change Normal???

Nov 1, 2013
Houston
I have a pool that is ~ 1yr old. In the spring/summer i have to add approx 20-30 oz of muratic acid every week to keep the PH down. Usually after 7days the PH is back up to ~ 8.0 after adjusting down to ~ 7.2-7.4. Is this normal? My backyard backs up to a small lake and I get constant wind. Right now i am running pool pump ~ 5hrs/day with overflow from spa to pool lined up.

Current conditions:
PH-- 7.4
FC-- 7.0
CA-- 300
ALk--80
CY-- 50
Borate 60

14K freeform pool; Hydrazzo/plaster; Pentair pumps/filters.

Thanks,

Welcome to TFP!

There are three things you can do to reduce the amount of PH drift you are experiencing. First, lower the TA down to around 60. Higher TA levels mean more PH drift. Second, let the PH generally be high. Higher PH levels have less PH drift. You still need to keep the PH below 8.0, just see if it will settle down around 7.6 or 7.8 and try not to lower it as far as you have in the past. Third, try to reduce the amount of aeration. Running the spillover for fewer hours per day will reduce the amount of PH drift.

I haven't had to add any acid in a couple of years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.