Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much bleach in my pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

How much bleach in my pool?

Have a very small intex 12'x30" vinyl pool that's 1,400 gallons. Have my ph down to 7.3-7.4 but my total chlorine seems to be at about 1 and won't budge. I'm using 1" slow dissolving tablets and they don't seem to work so I'm going to switch to bleach. How much bleach do I need to get up to the recommended level of total chlorine for my pool? Just want to make sure I'm keeping my pool sanitized good enough.
    Intex 12'x30", 1,400 gallons, Krystal clear 540GPH pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much bleach in my pool?

You can check in PoolMath, linked on the top bar on every page. Put in your pool's gallons and set your current and target levels. Pool math will do the rest, and sow you what you need to add.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

This much:

The FC level depends on how high the stabilizer level is. If all you've added so far is a few 1" tablets, you're probably down too low to even measure with a test kit. In which case, your target FC is 3. This article explains how to use Poolmath to calculate the dose. Hint: it'll be about 1/2 cup of Clorox 8.25%
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok thanks. Yeah I put in some shocker the first day I filled it up about a week ago. Other than that all I've added are chlorine tablets in a floater. Can I leave the chlorine tablets in there when I add the bleach? How long after I add the bleach do I have to wait to swim? Also is it best to add chemicals with the pump on or off?
    Intex 12'x30", 1,400 gallons, Krystal clear 540GPH pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, you can leave the floater and if you give the bleach thirty minutes to mix, you can go in, providing the water is clear.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    This much:

The FC level depends on how high the stabilizer level is. If all you've added so far is a few 1" tablets, you're probably down too low to even measure with a test kit. In which case, your target FC is 3. This article explains how to use Poolmath to calculate the dose. Hint: it'll be about 1/2 cup of Clorox 8.25%
    Whoever photo shopped that messed up big time. What's wrong with the picture? LOL

To the OP, that little pool won't take much bleach at all over the course of a season. Enjoy your summer with it!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

I thought it would be the placard, but a quick google shows that 1791 is a hypochlorite solution, strong enough to be highly corrosive.

Maybe they didn't want their car showing in the pic and shopped it out? You can see a small piece of shadow in the upper left of the rear panel on the tank.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

I figured with as small as my pool is it shouldn't take too much upkeep but if this year is successful I'm thinking of getting a bigger pool next year so I'm in training I appreciate the help. Added half cup this morning and tested just now and I'm at 3 with my chlorine level. Thanks again.