scary low water level

May 23, 2013
I took off the mesh loop loc cover off and water mostly gone except for the last 3 ft or so in the deep end. Up here in New England has plenty of snow on it this winter. My fault for not checking under the cover until now during the winter or early spring. Where'd the water go? No issues with leaks before. Shallow end seems like its stained too. Its 36 x 18 rectangle with fiberglass walls and either plaster, or cement floor and stairs. I'm hoping for the best, I don't have the budget for repair of any significance. First question is:

Should I fill it back up and see what happens?

Can I try to power wash the shallow end before I fill it? If yes, can I pour shock on it while doing so?
Will that damage the cement or plaster? (I suppose I want to use a wide spray angle...)

Odds are you will need to find and repair the leak before you fill the pool back up.

Carefully note the depth it drained to. It is very likely that the leak is somewhere close to the current water level.The fill it up several inches and see if it drains down to the same level it had before.

Thanks for the reply Jason Lion.

I used the BBB method for the first time last year with great results and I used this forum on many occasions to have questions answered. Awesome website for someone like me who inherited a pool in a home purchase.

I'm going to partially fill it and measure with tape the water line. Hopefully, it stays put. if all goes well, i'll keep adding water. I have noted the water level as it was when I took the cover off (as reference).

I know I won't be able to reach anyone since its a holiday, but assuming the worst here...:

can anyone give me a ballpark cost as to leak detection and repair of a small crack in the cement/plaster floor as well as cost to recoat/reseal the cement floor and spreading new epoxy around the joints where the fiberglass and floor meet?

we talking $1500 ....$5000+.....10k + ....20k....?

how do I know if I have cement or plaster floor?

Any feedback is appreciated. Just looking for a ballpark before I speak to potential repair places midweek after I experiment with trying to fill it with water.

Planning for the worst but hoping for the best.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.