Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wall Buckled: keep filling up pool or stop?

1. Back To Top    #1

Wall Buckled: keep filling up pool or stop?

Hello Everyone,

First time poster here; looks like a very nice forum. About 1 year ago we installed an above ground 21' pool. Today we removed the cover used to close the pool for the winter. I noticed that the wall area around the skimmer has buckled, in such a way that now the skimmer intake or "mouth" is no longer parallel to the floor, but rather pointing up at a 10 or 15 degree angle (please take a look the two attached pics further below for reference). When we removed the cover, the pool was only 20% or so filled with water. My plan is to try to see if someone can fix this.

QUESTIONS:

1. Do you think this can be fixed for less than 30% of the cost of the pool??
    2. Do you think that most pool installers will know how to fix this?
    3. While I look for someone to fix it, can I safely continue to fill the pool and possibly use it? The kids are going nuts here, and the wife wants to keep 'em busy.
    4. Or, would the best course of action be to drain the pool?

Thanks so much for any advice you can share.

Best,
    JPG.

Buckled Wall Side - Copy.jpgBucked Wall Front - Copy.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Wall Buckled: keep filling up pool or stop?

Hi there and welcome... I wouldn't use the pool... Really sorry about that... The wall is pretty badly buckled... You will have to drain it to fix it... The good news is, it looks from your photos that its only one panel, so this totally doable...
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Laceygirl is right. That pool would not be safe, filled.

If that is a single panel, you should be able to get a replacement. If the pool wall is a long single piece, you might have a bit bigger problem.

Do you have any idea how that could have happened?
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP !
    Yes that's a bummer. If you know anybody that has a auto body shop they might be able to see if it can be repaired. I know some if these guys can do wonders at straightening metal. Even if you just approach a shop they may be able to help or point you in the right direction.
    Only other thing I can think of is contact a pool installer for their opinion.
    Good luck and keep us posted on how you make out. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

There is no way to fix it while its full, let alone put together. I think you best bet is what pwrstrk suggested with an auto body shop. Call aroundand see. If it ccan't be fixed, you're looking at a new wall and liner.

Did you by chance have the cable to the cover wrapped under the skimmer box? This pool looks like it doesn't have an access panel because of the pattern on it. The panels are usually steel.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Another thing with the body shop is they can add another piece of sheet metal where the skimmer is, cut out for it somewhat bigger than the opening and that would stiffen that area up. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

What about some sort of support for the skimmer as well? Like a 2x4 brace thing under it after the sheet metal repair?
    12 x 28 Doughboy Dinosaur (j/k: Breckenridge) partial bury, continuous depth 9,000gal. Doughboy Power Pak I digital 1hp pump, Hayward Pro-Series 300lb sand filter. Foam panel base, Gladon wall foam, Gladon cove.