Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Too much pressure/leak from top mount

1. Back To Top    #1

Too much pressure/leak from top mount

I'm new to this forum and not very good with pools, so bear with me.
    I have a Hayward filter that is spraying large amounts of water whenever I turn on the pump. I bought it 2 years ago. I changed the O-ring and that didn't help. Also, I have a tremendous amount of pressure, so much, that it actually pushes what I think is the intake hose off. Please help. Thanks.
    18' x 33' AG Oval Pool
    Hayward Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

So, I posted my question and have no idea where it went, so here goes again.
    My pool 18' x 33', Hayward pump and sand filter. I have a terrible leak from the top mount, water SPRAYS out whenever I turn on the pump. I just changed the O-ring (filter is only 2 years old), and that did not help. I also have so much pressure, that it actually blows the intake hose off and sometimes the hose from the skimmer itself. I tightened the clamps on all the hoses and the one from the skimmer seems to be holding, but not the one connecting to the filter. Please help. Thanks.
    18' x 33' AG Oval Pool
    Hayward Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Re: Too much pressure/leak from top mount

Hi there Jawb903... That's not good news about your filter.... I use cartridge filters, but I am commenting in the hope someone with more knowledge about sand filters will be along soon.... When was the last time you backwashed your filter?
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to tfp, jawb903

What is your pressure gauge reading? What does it read when the pump is off? What pump (make and model) do you have?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

I back-washed and rinsed numerous times, including today.
    18' x 33' AG Oval Pool
    Hayward Sand Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't see a pressure gauge anywhere. It's a Hayward Power-Flo Matrix
    Part 7-193391-02
    Serial #C807-11
    HP 1.5
    18' x 33' AG Oval Pool
    Hayward Sand Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

The pressure gauge should be on the sand filter....
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

8. Back To Top    #8

Nope, no pressure gauge that I can see. The tag on it tells me max PSI 50, but no visible gauge. The diagram on the filter is showing me that the pressure gauge is right by the sight window, but I promise you, there's no pressure gauge. My filter looks exactly like the one that is featured in the training on this site. Could it be that I have too much sand in the filter? When I watched the guy cleaning his on this site, he seemed to have way less sand than I have in mine. It worked beautifully last season. I'm about to start screaming. Help...please...
    18' x 33' AG Oval Pool
    Hayward Sand Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Okay, so I realized that my gauge is missing. Filter didn't come with one. Bought it from Leslie's 2 years ago, go figure. Went back to them today, of course they were willing to sell me one, but not try to help me with my problem...so I'm back. Put the gauge on this evening. PSI at zero with pump on and off. Water of course still spraying. The salesperson at Leslie's suggested emptying the sand and starting from scratch. Any ideas?
    18' x 33' AG Oval Pool
    Hayward Sand Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Did you have to remove a plug to install the gauge? If not, then of course it will not read a pressure since there must not be an actual air port.

I think pictures would help.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes, I had to remove a plug to install the gauge. I can't seem to upload the pictures, so gave up trying.
    18' x 33' AG Oval Pool
    Hayward Sand Filter

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Use tapatalk app on your phone... Easy to post pics...

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks laceygirl.

18' x 33' AG Oval Pool
    Hayward Sand Filter

14. Back To Top    #14

Remove the gauge and turn on the pump. Water should come out the port. If not, something is clogging the passage.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

15. Back To Top    #15

Did that. Water came out the port smoothly. Could it be that I need to replace that "clamp" looking part that holds the top mount to the actual filter? Came home today to find water streaming from it.
    18' x 33' AG Oval Pool
    Hayward Sand Filter

16. Back To Top    #16

Folks, I'm desperate here. I changed the o-ring, the rather large clamp around the top mount, and even the bottom drain cap. I'm still leaking. Can't run the pump, so pool is now a lovely shade of forest green. It's super hot here and I had to cover the pool because I couldn't stand looking at any more, so it's perfect for algae growth I even deep cleaned the sand. What am I missing? Help!!!
    18' x 33' AG Oval Pool
    Hayward Sand Filter

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

I hate to say it but you may have to replace the entire top unit of your filter....

18. Back To Top    #18

Lack of pump/filter does not cause algae, lack of chlorine does. You could have still been adding bleach and mixing it in by brushing.

Not sure what is wrong with your filter though.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

When you replaced the o-ring, did you LIGHTLY lubricate it with Teflon based grease? It's worth a try. Also when you are trying that, make sure that when you retighten the ring clamp, you get the screw on each side just barely snug. Then tighten each side say... 3 turns. Alternate back and forth between the sides. Occasionally you should also firmly tap the ring clamp on each side (90 degrees from the screw locations) while tightening the ring clamp down. Do this until it is very snug but no need to overtighten to gorilla tight.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

20. Back To Top    #20

Have you gotten you pressure gauge to work? If so, what is the pressure when the pump is on?

You may need to inspect a little closer to determine where you leak is. I had a filter that the vessel cracked right where the clamp is applied and I thought for awhile it was my clamp too.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.