Heat Pump and Propane Heater combo???

CHP

May 8, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Hello everyone,

This may sound crazy, but has anyone installed both a heat pump and a propane heater to heat their pool? We live in Ontario, Canada, and will be installing a 20X40 rectangular inground vinyl pool with an 8ft deep end. We are planning on installing a Titan IV heat pump, for it will be the most cost effective mode to heat the pool, and will use a solar blanket to help retain heat at night. From what I've learned (from this excellent site), is that heat pumps are slow to heat but once you reach your ideal temp they can maintain it at a decent cost. As for propane heaters, they can reach your ideal temperature very quickly but will cost alot in propane to maintain that temperature.

So I was wondering why not use both systems? Why not use the propane heater to quickly reach the desired temperature and then have the heat pump maintain it? Especially in the early summer & early fall months when the temperature in the air can drop quite low and cool the pool off.

Does this make sense??

Thanks.

Thanks for the quick response! You mention more maintenance, what do you mean by that? Would it be that we manually start up the propane heater, and then have to go and switch it off (a couple off hours later) and then manually start the heat pump once the temp is reached? I'm thinking we would only need to use the "combo" in May-June and Sep. July and August would be hot enough at night to get by with just the heat pump.
Thanks for your input!

There is a chance that you could use both Heaters at the same time while getting into target range, and then shut off the propane heater. That is if outside temperatures are well above 45 F. It would depend on how things are plumbed of course.

The more maintenance comment is relative to cleaning, and potential repairs over time. Most heaters have enough smarts to run fairly automatically these days.

If we were to install just the heat pump for now and wait a summer or two to find out if it provides adequate heating, but then decide later we would like to add a propane heater as well, is there anything we should do/install now to make the retrofit easy later?

Thanks

We have both. The propane is primarily used for the hot tub. It took two weeks of mid 50s weather to warm the pool to 80 degrees F (26.6 C) this Spring. Most pools in the area are just now opening and we're swimming in the mid 80s.

We bought the house with this setup. If it had been me I would have the pool with the heat pump and a stand alone hot tub for year round use.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.