Truly just getting started & have a few questions :)

May 25, 2014
Dallas, TX
We have level ground, pool is set-up, & we have about 3 inches of water in it so far, pretty sure it will take a year or so to fill. :cool:. Questions are:

1- We bought and have attached a saltwater system to the pump that came with the pool (I guess it is called a sand pump). At what point do we add the salt & will we need to "stir" it in somehow?

2- Do we just turn everything on as soon as the water reaches the "minimum level" as indicated by the intake?

3- Is there a way to test the pumps before getting to the point mentioned in #2 above? I am worried about the potential for leaks in the hoses and connectors

4- Does the vacuum that comes with this pool in the "deluxe kit" work at all? I would like to get by with it for at least a couple of weeks before spending more $$ if possible.

I'm super-excited to swim, but a teeny-bit terrified of messing something up!

Thanks in advance for your help! :D

Welcome! :wave:

You add the salt after the rest of the chemistry is adjusted. You'll need a test kit for that.

Have you read anything in pool school yet? I suggest the ABCs of pool chemistry, and water balance for SWGs.

I suggest you hold Diamond Day if you have any kids. Post #5 in this thread.

I'm unfamiliar with above ground pumps and hoses and intex vacuums.

I suppose you could shoot the garden hose into the intake port and then plug in the pump and see if it blasts the water across the pool out the return. Not too long, though, because it will draw more water than the garden hose can provide. Some other intex owner should be along to slap my hand if I'm wrong.

Thanks, Richard! I'm sure my 9-yo would love to have Diamond Day- what a great idea. I will read the suggested tutorials in pool school. It's funny, I thought we'd get a $350 pool, slap it up, & be done, but there's lots to learn! So glad to have this site & forum. Thanks again. :D

Welcome to TFP!

You've come to the right place to learn how easy and fun it can be to own a pool.

As your water is filling, may i suggest that you go to your local hardware or plumbing store, and pick up some silicon based pool or plumber's lube? The instructions that came with your pump etc say to use petroleum jelly (vasoline). Not a good idea. It will damage the O-rings and step seals on your hoses and valves. This I learned my first year of caring for our pool.

If by "deluxe kit vacuum" you mean the hook your garden hose to the head and capture the trash in a fine mesh bag, no. It doesn't work. Best to get a pool vacuum hose, telescoping pole -- the Intex one is not the same size -- and vacuum head.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.