Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much salt is too much

1. Back To Top    #1

How much salt is too much

Good Day
    We have a T-9 cell w/Pro Logic P4 the pool place where I had my water tested today said that 3800 ppm was to much salt is this true I'm not sure can someone help please and thanks
    22k,IG Vinyl,Hayward Dual Speed Pump,Hayward Cartridge filter C3030,SWG 9 Cell Pro-Logic, 4 Relay System,Dolphin Supreme M4

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much salt is too much

As long as the high salt light is not lit you should be fine. I think the high salt light goes on around 4000. The salt level will tend to go down over the course of the season.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, the pool company wanted me to take about 6 inches of water out and I asked why not ride it out they replied it was hard on the SWG, skimmer and a couple of other parts. This pool thing is really confusing lol. But you guys are making it somewhat easier a BIG THANKS eh
    22k,IG Vinyl,Hayward Dual Speed Pump,Hayward Cartridge filter C3030,SWG 9 Cell Pro-Logic, 4 Relay System,Dolphin Supreme M4

4. Back To Top    #4

As Jason said, it is fine. I started mine out that high this year.

It seems that pool stores tend make things more confusing than they should be due to their inaccurate information and recommendations.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Salt levels have to get well over 5,000 before there is any real risk to the pool. The SWG will stop working around 4,000, but won't be damaged by levels either above or below that level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

The real question should be: why do you trust the pool store test?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

because I haven't ordered my test kit yet and I'm using those test trips

8. Back To Top    #8

I am becoming a true believer in my own testing.....I have watched them at the pool store, they go so fast when performing the tests its hard to keep up. I caught them fudging the test numbers or a mistake once when I was having my own test results compared. I would ask what the results were from each test and write it down as they entered them in the computer for printing out. One particular test result was higher on the print out than what I was told. I showed the guy and the look on his face said it all.
    If I had not been reading pool school and using pool math, I would have been buying needless supplies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    The real question should be: why do you trust the pool store test?
    12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by rmturner54 View Post
    I am becoming a true believer in my own testing.....I have watched them at the pool store, they go so fast when performing the tests its hard to keep up. I caught them fudging the test numbers or a mistake once when I was having my own test results compared. I would ask what the results were from each test and write it down as they entered them in the computer for printing out. One particular test result was higher on the print out than what I was told. I showed the guy and the look on his face said it all.
    If I had not been reading pool school and using pool math, I would have been buying needless supplies.
    He may have just been using pool store shorthand.

99 on CYA means "Off the scale."
    300 on CH means "Stopped testing at that point."
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!