I am going to bond our pool before I back fill it

gtnos

Jun 9, 2013
Newcastle, Oklahoma
i am going to bond our pool before I back fill it. Im going to use #8 wire all the way around and connect it to 4 points of the pool plus the screw on the pump. On the water bonding... If I bond the pump... water travels though the pump, and in fact stays in the pump and lines when the pump is off, at least on the suction side, so since the water is in the pump, in the line, and the pump is bonded, then wouldnt the water already be bonded too since it is in the pump and lines? Seems to me that a water bond through the skimmer as I see most done is overdoing it, since its already bonded through the pump.:confused:

I would suggest reading Article 680 of the current NEC code as well as discuss with the inspector for this job what he will want to see. Since the pump housing and impeller are all plastic, there is no water connection to the metal pump motor housing. It has been discussed in the past about using the heater heat exchanger as a water bond but the NEC does not recognize that as it can be isolated in some cases.

The water bond needs to have a large surface area. Even the plates often used in the skimmer, far larger than the area of metal contact in the pump, are not sufficient in my opinion (though they do met code requirements).

i see. Jason, here is my bonding plan:

16 x 32 Desert Spring. Only the buttresses are metal on this pool, the other supports are resin with a metal plate top and bottom. I thought about using self taping sheet metal screws and attaching the lugs to the buttresses on the outer two on each side. I would run the #8 wire all the way around the pool. Then I would connect the pump to the grid as well as a water bond through the skimmer that would also connect to this grid. in this diagram, the black squares are the buttresses.

bond.jpg

thoughts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.