Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Will I constantly have to add cya if using bleach for chlorination?

1. Back To Top    #1

Will I constantly have to add cya if using bleach for chlorination?

Hi, as previously posted, I have a new pool with no cya.
    Tc -3
    FC-3
    Ph-7.4
    Ta-100
    Ch-200
    Cya-0

I purchased granular stabilizer and plan to put in sock and tie it to noodle floating in pool. Is it ok that I add bleach to boast chlorine levels at same time as cya? Or will those things mess each other up if added at same time? Thanks for the help
    15'x26' above ground pool installed on 5/10/14, 1 hp -Hayward pro series sand filter (Model # S166T92STL), Hayward Vari-Flow valve (Model # SP0714T1), Hayward Power-Flo Matrix pump (Model # SP1592TLFP). TF100 test kit. Diver Dave automatic vacuum.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding granular cya, is it ok to add bleach at same time?

You can add both at the same time. Your fine ! 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Will I constantly have to add cya if using bleach for chlorination?

I plan on bringing my cya level to the proper level and then using only bleach for chlorination. If only using bleach, will my cya levels keep dipping, causing the need to always add stabilizer?
    15'x26' above ground pool installed on 5/10/14, 1 hp -Hayward pro series sand filter (Model # S166T92STL), Hayward Vari-Flow valve (Model # SP0714T1), Hayward Power-Flo Matrix pump (Model # SP1592TLFP). TF100 test kit. Diver Dave automatic vacuum.

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Will I constantly have to add cya if using bleach for chlorination?

no. your cya level will stay where it was. CYA doesnt change except for minor variations due to splashing water, etc. the problem is with NOT using bleach. If you use pucks, they add 5ppm per day FC and 3 ppm per day CYA. Over time, you get to much CYA, which can only be removed by draining and replacing water.
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

5. Back To Top    #5

Great, thanks for the help

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Keep your posts under this one thread so we can follow your story.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok will do

8. Back To Top    #8

I would just like to add, that if you backwash frequently, or drain any water due to rain or have an overflow, then you may see a slight drop in CYA.
    Of course how much drop depends entirely how much water left the pool.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!