Hello!
My husband, Mike and I just joined TFP this morning. We live Evans, Georgia, which is a suburb outside of Augusta, Georgia. We have a round above ground pool. It looks like an in ground though because it is built into a huge deck area. We've been really happy with our round pool as we can get on floats and the current carries us around similar to a lazy river. It's so relaxing and great for sunning.
The reason we joined (beside meeting great pool people) is because we are having a problem that we've had before and hoping someone can give us some advice. Kicking ourselves since we didn't keep a notebook of what worked last time.
We have a beautiful blue liner and the water has been perfect since Spring of last year. The weather is just now starting to get really warm and it's time to start enjoying our pool, but last week the liner looked a cream color and when it happened last time, we thought we had lost all color to our liner. It looked like the blue had completely faded away except for a small circle of blue in the middle.
We are paying for kids colleges and frankly, there was no way we could pay to replace the liner. We were so disappointed and had decided we were just going to have to live with a washed out liner for at least a couple more years. My husband drained the pool pretty low to fix a slow leak under the stairs. He filled the pool again and one morning I decided to backwash while I watered all the plants around the pool. To our complete surprise, the next morning, our blue liner was back!! It had not faded, but was covered/coated with a cream colored substance that made the liner appear faded.
Mike cannot remember what he put in the pool that made such a huge difference! Whatever it was, it happened very quickly and without any scrubbing.
We would love to get some advice on this and hoping someone can tell us what it is and what we can do. Our grandson will be having a birthday party here next week, so we need to act fast.

Gina Annis
Thank you in advance!
:)
:)

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Your issue is a first for me....I have never heard of anything remotely like that. I'll be interested if others have any ideas. It's cream colored again, right?

Welcome to TFP!:wave:. Would be curious to know what Mike put into the pool that, combined with a backwash, removed the cream-colored substance and revealed the natural blue color of the liner. Have him retrace his steps as I have not heard of this particular issue in the past.

Yes, it is exactly like last year. The liner is appears to have lost all design and looks exactly like it has faded away. There is a circle in the middle where one can see the bright blue liner. Mike thinks it was just the addition of new water that cleared it. I remember seeing the creamy color being swept away starting over by the water return.
I'd give anything for him to remember. I've always said that keeping a notebook on what works would save us so much money and time.

gina.annis said:
I've always said that keeping a notebook on what works would save us so much money and time.
I keep a weekly log. Once a week, I record that day's test results, water temperature, any anomalies that may have occurred that week, and note any top-offs and backwashes done that week. This has allowed me to know my pool better than I otherwise would have.