Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand filter sand to get

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand filter sand to get

The Ace Hardware price is really up right now at $12.99.

I was wondering about which sand to get. I have an Intex Sand Filter that tells me to use #20 silica sand or glass sand with particle size range of 0.45 to 0.85mm and a Uniformity Coefficient less than 1.75.

I looked online at PinchAPenny and they have a pool filter sand but it is a 20/30 mix.. they claim this is the best range for sand filters..

I checked the chart on the particle sizes and #20 is 0.85 and #30 is 0.60.

Knowing this, would anyone here go with the 20/30 mix or should I go to Ace and get the straight #20 sand?
    Intex 18' x 48" above ground
    Intex 2650gph sand filter
    Intex SWG/ Ozone generator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand filter sand to get

Any particular reason you are looking to replace the sand? It was millions of years old when it went in the filter, it will still be functional long after you and I are gone.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by karmabiker View Post
    Any particular reason you are looking to replace the sand? It was millions of years old when it went in the filter, it will still be functional long after you and I are gone.
    Hello, I guess my post was made into its own topic somehow.. I'm actually setting up a sand filter for the first time and am confused about the various sand.. I was about ready to buy the Zeobrite for its lighter weight and filtering ability but then i came here and read the posts about it.. so i decided being i'm not even familiar with how this filter is going to work i might as well just stick with what they recommend.. which is #20 silica sand or particle size range of 0.45 to 0.85mm. I checked Pinch A Penny and the only silica sand they seem to have is something with a 20/30 label.. 30 is still in the range above but i'm wondering if anyone else uses 20/30 in the Intex 2650gpm filter...

I'm not going to post the link but here is what they say about the sand

Florida Silica Sand 50 Lb. 20/30 Grade Filter Sand

Pool filter sand is a quality filter media that has been washed and specifically graded for use in sand pool filter systems. This 20/30 grade pool filter sand is the best grade for filtering pool water, according to sand pool filter manufacturers. Follow your filter manufacturer's instructions for proper application and backwashing.

I'm just lost right now and am wondering if I should get this or seek out plain standard #20 silica sand.. I think Ace carries it online..

4. Back To Top    #4

I believe menards has this sand. At a good price.

20'x54" intex ultra Sand filter. with SWG Still work in progress will have Resin 24" fence around the top. Hooked to a 10x6 Deck that is attached to another 10'x6' Kids Club house. Slide from main deck into pool. Intex softwall lights. Kenwood Marine radio sealed in a deck box all Bluetooth controlled with Pyle 5" outdoor speakers.

5. Back To Top    #5

which filter media do you use Havlc2u? regular sand or a mix? I just need to know it's ok to put this 20/30 in my filter when it calls for #20 silica mainly..

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm pretty knew to sand filters but 20/30 like it calls for

20'x54" intex ultra Sand filter. with SWG Still work in progress will have Resin 24" fence around the top. Hooked to a 10x6 Deck that is attached to another 10'x6' Kids Club house. Slide from main deck into pool. Intex softwall lights. Kenwood Marine radio sealed in a deck box all Bluetooth controlled with Pyle 5" outdoor speakers.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Get the #20/30 sand. Importantly, you need to get your system up and running and get chlorine in your pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School