Replacing booster pump - going from hard plumbed to flexible plumbed?

Jun 11, 2012
I have a 7 year old pool, and the Pentair (AO Smith 3/4 HP motor I believe) LA01N booster pump. Pump (and thus the crawler) hasn't worked for over a year and the Pentair Legend cleaner was held together with duct tape so it was long since time to replace the cleaner with a Polaris 280 and purchased a Polaris booster pump from the pool supply store.

My challenge... the old pump was hard plumbed in and the new pump looks to be plumbed with a 1" soft hose. The end connection (what I believe is the inlet side) appears to be easier, since it was a 1" PVC pipe that is terminated with a threaded connector. I suppose I can easily cut the pipe, terminate the end with a threaded end and connect the needed length of soft hose between the new terminated/threaded end to the pump.

The pipe that comes into the top of the pump (I believe this is the outlet side?) is the bigger challenge, as it appears to be a 1" threaded connection that somehow connects to a much wider (2 1/2"?) 90 degree elbow, that connects to 6" of PVC pipe, that then connects to another 2 1/2" elbow, that connects to a 90 degree 2 1/2" elbow, that then connects to a PVC pipe that goes down into the ground.

I will be going to the hardware store to look at whatever PVC pipe termination options are available to me before I think about cutting existing pipes. But is the basic approach that I will cut pipe, terminate with something that will allow me to connect to the 1" threaded connectors that came with the new pump, and using the soft hose in place of the existing PVC pipes?

Since I spent almost the same on the combined pump and cleaner as I could have on a robotic system, I seriously thought about switching to robotic and avoiding the plumbing challenge, but I have a lot of trees with large leaves and worried that the robot would be constantly fighting with debris.

Any advice and recommendations would be much appreciated. I won't head to the pool with the hacksaw until tomorrow, so hopefully this will allow me to get turned the right way. Thanks!!

Your plan is sound. The only challenge is finding the correct parts.

Measure the existing 2 1/2"??? pipe to see what size it really is. I would be surprised if they actually used 2 1/2" for a pressure side cleaner. 2" seems more likely. But anything is possible.

You may need to do the size reduction with two or three reducers in series, depending on what the store has in stock.

Your plan is sound. The only challenge is finding the correct parts.

Measure the existing 2 1/2"??? pipe to see what size it really is. I would be surprised if they actually used 2 1/2" for a pressure side cleaner. 2" seems more likely. But anything is possible.

You may need to do the size reduction with two or three reducers in series, depending on what the store has in stock.

Thanks Jason! The PVC pipe between the two elbos does measure to 2" outside diameter (the elbows were closer to 2 1/2" in outside diameter... but I should have measured the PVC pipe since that is where I will cut and will need to terminate to connect to the new soft hose. i will now go to the hardware store and look for ways to reduce.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.