Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A couple questions before testing my fill water

1. Back To Top    #1

Question A couple questions before testing my fill water

I received my TF-100 test kit this week and wanted to test my fill water. I anticipate my build finishing up in about 3 weeks or so and filling the pool with city water.

Does it matter how I collect the water samples? Take water from the my kitchen faucet or from the outside hose? It is ok to fill a larger container with the water and then dip the test containers into it?

For the Taylor K-1000 test kit (I want to do the PH test), there are several sheets of "paper towels." What are they for?
    Swimming!: 19x32 IG rectangular pool, 22,500 gallons; 3' - 6.5'; open spa w/ 6 jets; raised wall w/ 1 sheer descent and 2 minijets, 2 color-changing LED pool lights, 1 spa light; Jandy 2 1/2 HP 2 speed Pump, Jandy cartridge filter (320 SQFT), Diamondbrite Cool Blue

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: A couple questions before testing my fill water

Quote Originally Posted by jro33176 View Post
    I received my TF-100 test kit this week and wanted to test my fill water. I anticipate my build finishing up in about 3 weeks or so and filling the pool with city water.

Does it matter how I collect the water samples? Take water from the my kitchen faucet or from the outside hose? It is ok to fill a larger container with the water and then dip the test containers into it?

For the Taylor K-1000 test kit (I want to do the PH test), there are several sheets of "paper towels." What are they for?
    If you have a household water softener, get the sample from the hose you'll be using to fill the pool. Otherwise, no difference where it comes from.

Almost all of us old-timers gather one big sample and carry it somewhere comfortable to do the testing. If you have a pitcher or plastic measuring cup with a pour spout, even better.

The paper towels are to absorb the drips if you put the block away damp. They also provide a nice white background.

Don't test CYA. Tap water won't have any so you'll be wasting the reagent.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

The "paper towels" are just to keep things from vibrating and moving around during shipping.

It doesn't make much difference how you collect water samples from the tap. Taking water samples from the pool has a few simple rules, but just about anything works for tap water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, thank you!

Here are my results:
    pH: over 8.2 (my water color was darker than the 8.2 mark)
    TA: 50 (a light red color)
    CH: 100 ppm

Is there a preferred order to bringing each of these parameters into range? Do them all at once?
    Swimming!: 19x32 IG rectangular pool, 22,500 gallons; 3' - 6.5'; open spa w/ 6 jets; raised wall w/ 1 sheer descent and 2 minijets, 2 color-changing LED pool lights, 1 spa light; Jandy 2 1/2 HP 2 speed Pump, Jandy cartridge filter (320 SQFT), Diamondbrite Cool Blue

5. Back To Top    #5

Lower PH first, then test TA again and adjust TA as needed. Deal with CH only after PH and TA are appropriate.

And don't forget chlorine! Added after adjusting PH.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Isn't the pool builder going to do the startup?

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...w-pool-plaster
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

I will ask PB about the start-up. I checked my contract and it doesn't say anything about it. I guess I'll need to retest all the numbers once the start-up is complete.