Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test Results

1. Back To Top    #1

Test Results

Last year, I switched to TFP and had to do a 75% drain and refill to bring my CYA level down to normal. Overall, had a great 1st year with TFP. Could not believe how easy it was with only bleach!

Just opened the pool and got these initial results:

FC 4
    CC 0
    PH 7.2
    TA 110
    CH 180
    CYA 35

PoolMath says all I need to add is borax to raise PH. I assumed FC would be 0 and I would have some CC. Is it normal to open a pool with ready to swim readings? Do I still need to SLAM? Water is clear and sparkling. This just seems way too easy - I must be missing something...
    15K gal, 24' round AG, 75 sq ft cartridge filter, 1 HP 2 spd Jacuzzi pump, June 2004 install
    Former (& fed up!) 9 year Litehouse Pools customer 2004 - 2012!!
    Joined TFP in 2013 - swimming more and spending less $$!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test Results

I would say no SLAM needed. Your pH I would just leave alone. Point your jets upward or swim in it a bit to aerate. PH should rise naturally with aeration.

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Happy Opening Day!

To be sure, these readings are after the water has had an hour or so of pump circulation to mix it all up, right?

You could just set things up to aerate the water which will bring the pH up with no added chemicals. Point a return up, or build a contraption (lots of pics here if you search "aerator") or use a lawn sprinkler when you top off the water instead of just dropping the hose in. Anything to get teh water bubbling will help.

And it's very common for TFP people to have a super clear pool when they open. The one-day opening.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

^^^ what they said

And don't forget to post some pics for us!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

We have had some strong storms and heavy rain over the last week or so. A little concerned about higher pH and lower CYA readings.

8.2 pH (aeration from rain?)
    7.5 FC
    0 CC
    120 TA
    180 CH
    20 CYA (was 30 at startup - could still see dot at 25 this morning - rechecked twice)

Should I add something for the pH and CYA, or give it some time?
    15K gal, 24' round AG, 75 sq ft cartridge filter, 1 HP 2 spd Jacuzzi pump, June 2004 install

6. Back To Top    #6

First lower the pH to about 7.4ish.

Add enough CYA via sock method to get back to 30.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I am fairly surprised your pH went from 7.2 up to 8.2 in just 25 days. Rain typically has VERY little to do with it.

If it were my pool, I would record a daily log of pH and see if that trend continues (after you lower it per BF's suggestion)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

After Muriatic acid and CYA sock treatment, here are today's results:

FC - 7.5
    CC - 0
    pH - 7.6
    TA - 110
    CH - 170
    CYA - 40

Pool is clean, chemistry looks good, but water is a little dull. Not cloudy, but not crystal clear. Anything I can do to improve clarity? Vacuuming twice a week and cleaning filter weekly. I have 2 filters so they get swapped out each week.