Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie and the green monster

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie and the green monster

Hi folks. I'm currently dealing with my second algae bloom since owning a pool. I took the cover off and YUCK! Here are my current levels:
    OCLT - failed
    Keeping FC at 15
    TA 90
    CYA 40
    PH 7.5 (though it swings with all the bleach)

The water is now that murky gray color, which is good. My issue seems to be getting all of the leaves out of the pool (cover had a hole). My vacuum keeps jamming up, and it takes forever to clear out all the gunk. I've used the skimmer net, and yesterday even got in and dove for all the yucky stuff.

I also added DE to my sand filter, but I haven't noticed much of a difference. Lord this is a pain!

Any suggestions from anyone? Am I missing something? I reread pool school and Jason's "turning your green swamp back into a sparkling oasis", but I always like to check with the pros here too.
    14k gallon oval agp, sand filter, 1hp pump, BBB method, K-2006 Test Kit
    Roanoke, VA

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Newbie and the green monster

Maybe a leaf grabber? It seemed to work in this case:
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Bowmanville, ON Canada

Re: Newbie and the green monster

Search for "leaf rake" - basically a rectangular bag on the end of a pole designed to scoop leaves & other gunk off the bottom of the pool.
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer