Hi, I'm in need of assistance in selecting a new pump or motor to replace my current because the motor has a noisy bearing.
I have a 20K gal IG Pool with;
- 300 LB Starite Sand Filter
- 1HP Motor (says Dyna Glas on the side)
- 1.5" lines, filter is just barely above pool level, so essentially no lift.
- Pool to pump distance is about 45ft to nearest inlet, 72ft from furthest inlet and about 60ft to skimmer.
- The pressure gauge runs around 14 psi when the filter is freshly back washed.
I'm figuring the best way to go is buy a new pump and motor since if I just replace the motor I'd still have an 8 year old pump. Obviously if I replace just the motor then I won't have any plumbing and it's less $'s than the whole pump & motor.
I'm leaning toward replacing both pump and motor due to several factors;
1. Pumps age - Is the 8 year old pump approaching end of life or it a waste of money to replace pump?
2. Quieter operation - Even before the motor bearing was going bad the Dyna Glas pump was always much noisier than my neighbors Hayward pump. Is the noise from the pump area (ignoring the noisy bearing) more related to the pump moving water or the motor itself?
Now that I got you up to speed;
1. Would the experts recommend replacing both pump and motor, or just the motor?
2. Would the experts recommend a motor larger or smaller than 1HP based on the specs I provided?
3. Is a variable speed pump worth the extra $'s? I have relatively inexpensive electric and only run the pump 4 months/year, so energy savings would likely not be a deciding factor, but reduced noise is appealing.
4. If you recommend a new pump and motor, are there certain brands/models you'd recommend based on my specs and desire for something quieter?
Thanks so much in advance.