Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Existing backyard Drain on pool location

1. Back To Top    #1

Existing backyard Drain on pool location

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and also a first time pool owner. We just bought the Intex 18' x 48" round pool 4 days ago and I started removing the sod in my backyard to level the site following the sound advice of people in this site. And after leveling, I will put play sand before I set up the pool. I have also decided to dig a trench and install a GFCI outlet about 6' from the edge pool because the pool is too far from the nearest wall outlet in our backyard. I am also capping off the sprinklers on the pool location. So I hope I am doing the right thing.

My concern now is the existing backyard drain that I uncovered when I removed the sod. If you can visualize the pool in 4 quadrants, the drain sits in the middle of one of the quadrants. I can't move the pool site because that is the only place available for the pool. As you can imagine, the ground slopes towards the drain. So I am not sure what to do. And I have read that if you want to level the ground, use the lowest point as your point of reference. Should I relocate the drain, cover it or just leave it alone? There are other existing drain locations in our backyard.

Thanks for your help in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Existing backyard Drain on pool location

If you can move the drain easily then do so.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Existing backyard Drain on pool location

Can I just leave it since I plan to take down the pool late fall every year?
    Intex 18' x 48" Ultra Frame Round Pool - AG, Intex Krystal Clear Model 28633EG 2500 Filter Pump, Intex Krystal Clear SWG #28663EG, TFT100 Test Kit, Hayward Skimmer