CYA and low Ph....

May 24, 2014
Fort Kent, ME
Ok here it goes...I'm new here (surprise!). I have a 20000 gal in ground pool with a vinyl liner. I have slammed my pool and I have beautiful sparkling water. Now I am trying to get the other levels where they should be. First off my CYA was at or around zero so I currently have a sock in the skimmer for that. It has been in there for about 36 hours. My plan was to add 4lbs. My Ph was great (7.6) before I started that but naturally it has dropped. It was 7 or a little lower last night so I added 4lbs of borax. This morning my Ph is exactly the same as it was last night before the borax. My question is do I continue to throw borax at it while I am still adding CYA or do I wait until I am done stabilizing? My TA is 60. Thanks for any help and let me know if I need to include more info.

Welcome to TFP!

CYA wouldn't lower the PH that much. What are you using to add chlorine? Trichlor tablets would lower PH in the way you describe.

Regardless of why the PH is going down, you do need to maintain the PH in range.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.