Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA and low Ph....

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA and low Ph....

Ok here it goes...I'm new here (surprise!). I have a 20000 gal in ground pool with a vinyl liner. I have slammed my pool and I have beautiful sparkling water. Now I am trying to get the other levels where they should be. First off my CYA was at or around zero so I currently have a sock in the skimmer for that. It has been in there for about 36 hours. My plan was to add 4lbs. My Ph was great (7.6) before I started that but naturally it has dropped. It was 7 or a little lower last night so I added 4lbs of borax. This morning my Ph is exactly the same as it was last night before the borax. My question is do I continue to throw borax at it while I am still adding CYA or do I wait until I am done stabilizing? My TA is 60. Thanks for any help and let me know if I need to include more info.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA and low Ph....

Welcome to TFP!

CYA wouldn't lower the PH that much. What are you using to add chlorine? Trichlor tablets would lower PH in the way you describe.

Regardless of why the PH is going down, you do need to maintain the PH in range.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm using 8% bleach household type. The only things that have gone in the pool are the bleach the CYA and the borax. I'll keep adding borax but I don't understand what's going on. :/

4. Back To Top    #4

What kind/brand of test kit are you using? And how old is it?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

It is a Taylor complete k-2006 (fas-dpd). I bought it three years ago. I also used a strip just to see if the two jived and they did.

6. Back To Top    #6

Three years is a long time for the PH reagent to last. They can last that long occasionally, but they tend to go bad after about two years.

7. Back To Top    #7

Oh ok. I'll order a new one but of course with the holiday it's going to be several days. I guess I'll keep trying to raise it testing with my strips which are new but I'll keep it on the low side until my reagent comes in. Thanks.