Replacing Leaking/Broken Return

Jun 23, 2013
Brooklyn, CT
Last Year: NOOB Opened pool at new house for the first time. Broken AquaLight return was leaking. Waited 'til this year to fix.

Now:
1) The liner tore slightly around the return hole, so I patched it.

14263696932_5f3e7f913b_z.jpg

2) I cross cut the liner where the return hole is--as opposed to trying to cut a circle.

14079168409_4065268515_z.jpg

3) Replacing return with Hayward SP1023G w/ 1-inch eyelet.
The return has a double gasket

14265816215_4881ba1a14_z.jpg

The above gasket fits the return hole fine, however when I try to install the gasket with the liner/patch pulled through the hole (as in picture 2) it does not fit properly.

QUESTIONS:
1) am i right to assume I should be installing the gasket this way? It seems to make the most sense (even though it doesn't fit)?
2) should i install the gasket in the wall of the pool and pull the liner through that (does that defeat the purpose of the gasket)?

14079362240_b4b0e78f13_z.jpg

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

The flaps of liner material get cut off. Typically the liner gets fit in-between the wall and the inner part of the gasket, so you have gasket - liner - wall - gasket. Some setups provide a second gasket so it ends up being second gasket - liner - gasket - wall - gasket, but that is less common.

I do have a second rubber gasket (and a third cork gasket).

I trimmed the liner/patch

14080084329_4e5eb983ba_z.jpg

But the gasket still bunches

14080115650_793d433a4c_z.jpg

I'm guessing the liner needs to be almost precisely the same size as the hole for the return and not go through the hole at all.

Should I add any silicone/caulk at all?

The Hayward SP1023G comes with a "sandwich" gasket. Therefore when replacing the "sandwich" gasket it goes as follows:
• Inside pool SIDE goes between wall and backside of pool liner
• Outside pool SIDE goes outside pool

The ordering of gaskets to parts is:
• Inside pool
• Rubber gasket
• Pool liner
• 1 side of "sandwich" gasket
• Pool wall
• Other side of "sandwich" gasket
• Cork gasket
• Outside pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.