Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Added 1/2 gallon of muriatic acid instead of bleach by mistake!!!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Added 1/2 gallon of muriatic acid instead of bleach by mistake!!!!!

I needed to add a half gallon of bleach to my pool and we had just rearranged out garage and storage areas. Both gallons look almost exactly the same and both had a half gallon of liquid in. I didn't look and poured in the wrong one!!!! I am going to wait an hour and then retest but my pool was balanced and now?????
    30 ft. round Aqua Leader agp with dished out center 23,800 gallons; 1.5 hp Hayward pro matrix pump; Hayward EC50 DE filter; solar panels; solar cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Added 1/2 gallon of muriatic acid instead of bleach by mistake!!!!!

I see searching for Borax in your future.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Luckily I have about 5 boxes sitting around! Pays to look at the bottles but these look almost exactly the sam. It was the smell that gave me the clue!
    30 ft. round Aqua Leader agp with dished out center 23,800 gallons; 1.5 hp Hayward pro matrix pump; Hayward EC50 DE filter; solar panels; solar cover

4. Back To Top    #4

You probably shouldn't be storing bleach and muriatic acid in the same place. Bleach needs cool dark storage. Muriatic acid needs ventilation. And if they mix the result is very nasty.

If your pool was well balanced already, it might adjust on it's own. You'll just lose a little TA.
    20,000 gal in-ground plaster pool with sand filter. Replastered recently. Mostly adding bleach and acid. CYA was high when I took over.