Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How often and how much bleach and muriatic acid

1. Back To Top    #1

How often and how much bleach and muriatic acid

Hi there
    I realize everyone's pools is different but I wanted to get a ballpark to see if I'm anywhere close. How often and how much bleach and MA do you usually add. I find that I've been having to add a quart to half gallon of bleach every other day. Also maybe a full gallon of am weekly. This seems a bit much as I think most don't have to add MA often. I am using borax for borates and it's around 80. Thanks for everyone's advice and feedback!
    My ta is 100 btw
    21k galloons IG pebblesheen chlorine
    Rainbow 320 Chlorinator; Cartidge Filter Pentair 520
    1 Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed, 1 1.5HP Whisperflo for water features
    Pentair Legend Platinum Cleaner
    Pool completion date: 1/25/2014 TF-100 test kit with SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How often and how much bleach and muriatic acid

I add 2 ppm of chlorine daily, and no acid at all.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The bleach sounds reasonable, considering the size of your pool.

The acid sounds a bit extreme, but I was using that much until I finally knocked the TA down for keeps. How long has it had that thirst for acid? A few weeks, or for years? And is that full-strength acid, or that half-strength low-fume stuff they sell at the hardware stores now?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by cc517 View Post
    Hi there
    I realize everyone's pools is different but I wanted to get a ballpark to see if I'm anywhere close. How often and how much bleach and MA do you usually add. I find that I've been having to add a quart to half gallon of bleach every other day. Also maybe a full gallon of am weekly. This seems a bit much as I think most don't have to add MA often. I am using borax for borates and it's around 80. Thanks for everyone's advice and feedback!
    My ta is 100 btw
    I don't have a gunite/pebblesheen pool but *think* that Ive read here that the first year takes more acid tweaking with MA until it ages up a bit? Can one of the pros here confirm or correct this? I see the OP siggy line shows his pool is brand new.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

Good catch, Skippy! New plaster will use a lot of acid.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm about 4 weeks into a new fill/new pool and my acid use has just subsided. My TA is down to about 80 and I'm only adding acid every other day or two now. For a little while I was using nearly a gallon a day in 29000 gallons. I started with a TA of about 190, but I too know that the lower TA is a major reason my pH rise is calming down. My fill water runs around 7.75 pH and this doesn't help.

Give it some time and yours should calm down too.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

Just had a Pebble sheen refinish about a week ago. The first four days I used a 1/2 gallon of MA per day. At 11 days it has stabilized and I just need a swig per day.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System