Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand Filter Gauge Replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand Filter Gauge Replacement

I have decided to replace the cheap gauge on my sand filter with one recommended on TFP forum but mine had 1/2" threads. Is it ok to get a brass reducer to adapt to the 1/4" offered or do I need to keep looking for a quality gauge with 1/2" threads? Just tired of the $5 dollar gauges that get moisture under face immediately...time for an upgrade!
    Leisure Riviera 34 15k Fiberglass IG; Hayward S180T sand filter; Hayward Super Pump dual speed .75/1.5 HP; Pentair PG-2000 Fiber Optic Lights.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand Filter Gauge Replacement

Well, that is unusual but a brass or PVC bushing will be fine. No need to look for a half inch NPT gauge.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Double check that fitting size. I am pretty sure your S180T sand filter comes with a standard 1/4" female connector.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

You are aware that 1/4" NPT threads are close to 1/2" outside diameter? Pipe sizes are given by the inside diameter.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yep. S180T is 1/4" npt threads. I bought the gauges from TFTteskits and they fit fine.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

6. Back To Top    #6

ditto - and a nice gauge to boot
    15K, IG, Sunstone Pearl (pebble) finish, Pentair EasyTouch 8 control system, Pentair IntelliFlo VS pump, Pentair IC 40 SWG, Pentair CC200 Cartridge filter, solar heating - 4th time pool owner

7. Back To Top    #7

image.jpg

I ordered the 1/2" and it fit fine so do you think this is 1/4" and store had the one I got labeled wrong?
    Leisure Riviera 34 15k Fiberglass IG; Hayward S180T sand filter; Hayward Super Pump dual speed .75/1.5 HP; Pentair PG-2000 Fiber Optic Lights.

8. Back To Top    #8

That is a 1/4" thread fitting.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

OK thanks, I will order one Tuesday from TFTtest kits...should have ordered one of those when I ordered test kit last week!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by amccaul View Post
    OK thanks, I will order one Tuesday from TFTtest kits...should have ordered one of those when I ordered test kit last week!
    You will like it I promise. I put one on my brand new filter the first or second week it was in service. Threw the factory one in the trash, and haven't looked back. The new one is easy to read and I know it will last.

Remember...Don't forget to cut the little tip off the rubber insert at the top so it can equalize. If you don't, your reading will be inaccurate.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

Will there be directions for the rubber tip or is it self explanatory...the cheap ones I have did not have that.

12. Back To Top    #12

You know, I am not sure I cut the rubber on mind
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

13. Back To Top    #13

My Wika gauge has a rubber switch. Toggle one direction to equalize, toggle back to reseal.

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Well, my back mount gauges have a brass "push-pull" toggle to equalize the pressure ( and a label telling you to do so) but the bottom mount gauges have a sealed rubber tip that gives no instructions.

Brushpup, where did you see to cut off that tip? I won't be able to get to the manufacturer for another hour or two.
    Dave S.

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

Just now heard from supplier. No need to do anything to your gauge if it is on zero when you get it. If it's not, simply remove the plug to let the pressure equal....gauge should go to zero....replace stopper and your done. Don't cut the rubber off.....it's there to get a grip if you need to remove it.

The rear mounted gauges have that brass push-pull device in the stopper that does the same thing.

Of the four that I opened to look at, none needed calibration as they were already on zero.

Hope this helps....I sure didn't know about it 'til now.
    Dave S.

16. Back To Top    #16

I am pretty sure I read about cutting the rubber and just did not do it ... might have been on an instruction sheet with the gauge. Might want to check that. I know I read it somewhere.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

Hmmmm! It's a solid rubber seal so by cutting off the tip (on the ones I have) would only serve to make it a little neater looking.

I have never noticed separate instructions in my inventory but I believe you guys....brushpup must've gotten some, too.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the point would be.
    Dave S.

18. Back To Top    #18

Would the gauge on TFTestkits fit a Jacuzzi 190L with a Seven Way valve?
    My pool: 13,500 gallons round pool, 24' w 52" above ground, hard sided pool. Jacuzzi 190L Sand Filter, 1 Horse Waterway pump, Robotic Vacuum

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJTritter View Post
    Would the gauge on TFTestkits fit a Jacuzzi 190L with a Seven Way valve?
    I googled your filter, and the bottom mount gauge from TFTestkits has the same thread size, 1/4" NPT.
    21K gallon, plaster, 1hp Hayward MaxFlo pump, Hayward 244s sand filter, 3/4 hp Halcyon PB4-60Q booster pump, Polaris 280 cleaner.