Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Well, this should be interesting....

1. Back To Top    #1

Well, this should be interesting....

Moved into new to us house on May 2nd. Finally got settled in and the pollen surrounding the Lake of the Ozarks appears to be calming itself. Opened the pool today and it was as green and nasty as I'd imagined, complete with 3 toads, 2 lizards, and a smelly dead squirrel (thanks for not patching the hole(s) in the loop loc cover to the previous owner).

Got it filled up to proper level, pump and filter appear to be working ok. Can't seem to get lighting to work (fiber optic).

Looking forward to getting it up and running. Trying to keep a positive attitude as a pool is about the last thing I wanted/needed...it's a side effect of buying this house...hoping it turns out for the best. Still mulling fence options as we have a 4 and 2 year old. Local pool co. doesn't seem to have any interest in helping us put in a Baby-Loc. Any suggestions?
    In-Ground, Vinyl Liner, Sand Triton II (Pentair?), 1HP Whisperflo?, approx 25K gallons. There is a separate spa (non-functional). Heater is new last year, 250,000 BTU Hayward propane. Pool built in around 1996, liner replaced in last 5 years.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Well, this should be interesting....

I'd suggest a few articles in Pool School.

#1 ia you need a good test kit. We recommend the TF100. You get more reagents than the k2006.
    Test Kit Comparison

Check out the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis. This should get you started...

Welcome to TFP!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Got the test kit. Haven't tested yet (TF-100)
    In-Ground, Vinyl Liner, Sand Triton II (Pentair?), 1HP Whisperflo?, approx 25K gallons. There is a separate spa (non-functional). Heater is new last year, 250,000 BTU Hayward propane. Pool built in around 1996, liner replaced in last 5 years.

4. Back To Top    #4

Post up test results and read those links I gave you and we can get you started.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP from just up the road (Hwy 54)!

We can help you have a sparkling pool that you will learn to love.

Here you will find methods of pool care that will literally take only minutes a day, and will be inexpensive. Who says owning a pool can be a hole in the pocketbook? No one here, that's for sure!

Did the previous owner leave any pool tools, like a pole with several attachments? you will need these for getting the gunk out of your pool before starting on your first (and probably only!) SLAM. You will likely be dredging blind for a while, but keep at it until you can pull nothing more off the bottom of your pool.

Once you post test results, we'll know more of what you need to clear your pool, chemical wise.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a thread your could take a quick look at, that illustrates how easy it is:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ally-this-easy
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

Please bear with me. Had a guy come out to help us open and just show me how everything works. There is the usual stuff like skimmer net, leaf net/rake, brush, vacuum, then there is a Polaris.

On opening day, we shocked with 2lbs of SmartShock and let it run for 2 days. Today, vacuumed to waste and then brushed and we've gone from clear water with green bottom/partial sides to full on swamp.

For grins, I ran all the tests Sunday morning very early (about 18 hrs after pump was on and probably 16 after shock went in). Seems FC was 1 and CC was 1, TA was 250, CYA was negligible (no real loss of dot). pH seemed to be in the 7.4 range and TC on the daily test was around 2ppm. CH was in range, but I don't remember my number well. All this is off the top of my head.

Now, I have to go out of town for a couple days and won't be able to mess with it until Thurs. Pool guy will be back the rest of the week. I've agreed with wife to let him do his thing as he seems reasonable.....

But, I have a couple questions.

He is saying pool is between 20-25K gallons. I'm calculating closer to 35-40. Pool is at LEAST 20 X 40, if not bigger (it's irregularly shaped. Shallow end is about 15x20 and deep end is about 20x20, kind of a dogleg shape, if you will. Max depth I believe is 9 (there is a diving board, pool built in 1996). Wondered who might be more accurate.

Is there any reason not to use Smart-shock? I understand it has stabilizer in it, as do the Silk Tabs we are using.

There is a Fiberstar color wheel, but the lamp appears to be out. Fan works fine, so I've ordered an H111 replacement, anyone got experience with these?

Is a perimeter 4' wood fence better than one of the baby safety fences for deterring 2yr and 4yr old?

If things aren't significantly improved by Thursday, I'm planning to take over fully. My biggest problem is I won't be home much of the month of June and the wife can't deal with pool maintenance while also trying to watch the kids....so....I'm stuck.

7. Back To Top    #7

Looks like I'm gonna start in tonight.

8. Back To Top    #8

I think you have the same shape pool as I do, and it's referred to as a "Lazy L". Mine holds around 35k gallons and it's 4' deep on the shallow end and 8' on the deep end.

Once you get your test kit, post your numbers, correct PH, and CYA (if possible) and then SLAM.

As for maintenance of a pool, since you will be doing your own testing, you will learn what the daily needs of your pool are and once once you learn that, it should only take you a few minutes a day. In my case, I know I need a jug a day, so I go to my garage, get a jug of clorox, turn the pump on, pour it (slooooowly, in front of the return on the deep end), and walk away. I have my timer to shut off the pump at 6am. As for testing, I only test on the weekends (once I'm done with SLAM after openning it). I found this forum 4 years ago, and haven't had algae during the swimming season, as opposed to my friends who used to go to the pool stores....used to go because now they do their own testing as well.
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Photo of shape of pool

And what it looked like on Saturday. It's worse now.

10. Back To Top    #10
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

If we assume the "blocks" of the cover are approx. 3 feet wide, would anyone be willing to take a shot at estimating the volume assuming the deep end is a max of 9' deep and shallow is approx. 3' deep?

Also, any thoughts on the safety fencing? Experiences?

I will probably use up my chemicals I have on hand then be shopping for bleach.

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok. Still not totally sure what the volume is. Pool guy came by (he's an independent guy that broke off from pool stores). They dumped in 2 lbs of Dichlor (SmartShock) and circulated. Also added silk tab to each skimmer (2) and refilled the chlorinator.

Still (not surprisingly) a green swamp.

Numbers:

FC: 0.5
    CC: <0.5 (took one drop)
    CH: 300
    TA: 200
    CYA: maybe 20, think its lower
    pH around 7.8

working with 25000 gallons, added 2 more bags of dichlor this Am along with inhibit (following BioGuard label instructions).

Trying to use up what I've got in terms of chemical

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by mjb62676 View Post
    Ok. Still not totally sure what the volume is. Pool guy came by (he's an independent guy that broke off from pool stores). They dumped in 2 lbs of Dichlor (SmartShock) and circulated. Also added silk tab to each skimmer (2) and refilled the chlorinator.

Still (not surprisingly) a green swamp.

Numbers:

FC: 0.5
    CC: <0.5 (took one drop)
    CH: 300
    TA: 200
    CYA: maybe 20, think its lower
    pH around 7.8

working with 25000 gallons, added 2 more bags of dichlor this Am along with inhibit (following BioGuard label instructions).

Trying to use up what I've got in terms of chemical
    If the pool is 25000 gallons, 2 lbs of dichlor only raises FC by 5.3. In a pool with zero CYA, that's not even close to SLAM level of 10. The pucks and tablets in the skimmer don;t dissolve fast enough to really count.

There's nothing wrong with using the dichlor to raise FC since you do need the CYA, but you need to get enough in there to kill the algae off faster than it can reproduce. You need to knock it down and kick it again and again and again while it's down until it's dead. Otherwise it will get back up. As CYA rises, SLAM level also rises. So keep track of how many bags of shock and how many pucks are going in the pool. Effects of Adding Chemicals at the bottom of Poolmath will tell you what you've added. When CYA=30, SLAM is 12 FC. At 40 CYA, 16 FC, and so on. So it doesn't help to raise CYA too high for the SLAM. Once the water is cleared, then you can raise it up the rest of the way using the dichlor.

By the way, that Bioguard Inhibit contains copper. Unless you like stained liners and green hair, don't add any more. And you really should decide which method you're going to use: ours, or the pool store's. Mixing and matching doesn't work well. You'll just end up confused, fruistrated, and angry.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

14. Back To Top    #14

You either follow TFP or go with the Pool Guy who keeps dumping dichlor. If you're not careful, you will end up with a still green pool because you are not keeping the pool at SLAM levels and an outrageous CYA. Every time he dumps 2 lbs of something in your pool, you are losing ground it by not replenishing the chlorine and letting it fall to almost 0ppm.

Please read:

SLAMing Your Pool
    PoolMath

15. Back To Top    #15

I'm going to go to the bleach method to SLAM. I'm going to try to measure closely and figure out an accurate volume. The first time I calculated, I was over 40K gallons...the guy who works on pool says closer to 20-25.

Confused is a good way to put it. Bleach isn't cheap either.

16. Back To Top    #16

FC 1
    CYA about 20.

Goal 10

Added nearly 3 jugs of 8.25%. Let's get the party started.

Any other suggestions?

17. Back To Top    #17

Approx. how long should one wait before expecting FC to rise? ie.....how many hours should you wait to test and figure out if you need more bleach?

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by mjb62676 View Post
    Approx. how long should one wait before expecting FC to rise? ie.....how many hours should you wait to test and figure out if you need more bleach?
    Thirty minutes with the pump on should be enough time to mix things. If your brush after adding it, it will mix better. If the pool is really green and chunky, it will consume bleach almost as fast as you can pour it. That's why we frequently suggest testing every hour at the beginning of the SLAM. When it starts holding better, you can space things out.

19. Back To Top    #19

Thanks. I saw the "not less than one hour or less than twice a day"....and wondered. Will let things settle down and then re-test. I've gone from pretty much nil to like 4 in 1.5 hours.

20. Back To Top    #20

I really hope this thing is enjoyable at some point. Just a laborious money pit at this point.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast