Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Happy as a pig in ****! my test kit came today!

1. Back To Top    #1
    Cincinnati, OH

Happy as a pig in ****! my test kit came today!

History: see signature for pool information. installed just over 2 weeks ago.

I've had doubts about the pool store care information since the beginning and am very thankful to have found TFP before being completely "pool stored."

first set of numbers from TF-100 are:

TC: 1.5
    CC: 0.5
    FC: 1
    pH: 7.8
    TA: 130
    CYA: 35
    CH: 200 (PS initially recommended $60 of calcium but i have a vinyl liner...I don't really need this, correct?)
    Salt: 1000

According to pool math, I needed to add bleach (done) and increase the CYA (sock hanging). I will be raising the salt level soon once I find the "manufacturer's recommended level" and i'll take that to TFP levels. The water has always been bright, shiny, and clear.

Am I missing anything?
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    DFW, Texas

Re: Happy as a pig in ****! my test kit came today!

Welcome to TFP!

Since you have a SWG pool you do indeed want to raise the CYA level up to 60-80 ppm. I would stop at 60 ppm and see how that works with your SWG and loss due to sunlight. It's easier to add more CYA, if needed, than it is to get rid of too much. Also, bump your FC up to 4-5 ppm and make sure to keep an eye on your pH (it's fine right now, but you will need to lower it if it goes any higher).

Contrary to what the pool store says, you are correct in that you do not need calcium for a vinyl liner.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Bravo on finding your way here! Seems like you have it all under control.

With TA at 130 you will need to add Muriatic Acid from time to time to keep pH down. 7.8 pH is OK but 7.5 is better so either now or when it gets a bit higher, like 7.9 or 8.0, you can add some MA to get to 7.5. With a new pool you will want to undershoot just a bit, like target 7.6 and dose MA for that and see how accurately you get there -- as a test of your testing skills as well as confirmation of your pool volume and TA measurement. Dose, then circulate an hour and retest. 7.5 to 7.8 is the comfort zone for eyes but I've let my pool go to 8.0 with no complaints. Over time that TA will decline towards 60-70-80 where the pH will start to get more steady even with a lot of splashing/agitation in the pool.

TA is really the last thing one worries about, but you seem to understand everything else as far as FC and CYA and CH and salt. So nothing left to work towards but controlling pH and that will be easy. That just leaves having fun! Off to look at pool toys for you and the kids!
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4
    SW PA

You're on your way to a TFP!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter