Green

smc

Oct 3, 2009
Tucson, Arizona
IMG_4343_zpsa6aa48a1.jpg

IMG_4344_zps0959db0c.jpg

I have no idea what the levels are - no, I don't have a test kit yet (after almost 6 years :( ) Last week the chemical guy didn't show up, and I just put a new cartridge in. It had dirt in the bottom and some pollen that the wind blew in from the trees. The water was clear until last Saturday (7 days) and one of the managers came by Wednesday to check the levels. He left a message saying that the only thing he could think of is drain/fill to get rid of the minerals. The cartidge was really stinky.

The pic of the pool is after running the pump 24 hours, vacuuming by sense of smell and maybe using The Force like Luke Skywalker, and started the slow drain on the pump to keep the fine dirt from getting through the filter sock, and I found out that in my neighborhood there was a code on the rate of water drained fron the pool. I can only empty to the skimmer for now, and then fill again. Shouldn't take too long, right?

Let's hear some suggestions on this fine holiday weekend.

EDIT: Oh, and it was a deeper green before - the light was barely visable Wednesday night.

Attachments

• IMG_4344.jpg
    IMG_4344.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 90
Clear the debris from the pool, with a leaf rake (bag shaped net) and find a test kit. You need chlorine in the pool but it is impossible to know how much as that depends on the CYA level which is what needs accurate testing. Pool stores are often unreliable but you could take a water sample and get it tested for free at a store. Of course, we prefer that you buy a really good test kit and get accurate numbers by carefully doing the testing yourself.

I get the impression this is an apartment? or a public pool of some sort?

I don't even know where to start...

Oh wait... maybe I do...

:lookhere: Test Kit Comparison

You get more reagents with the TF100. As far as what to do, it's like playing on the tail on the donkey without knowing your test results.

I don't even know where to start...

Oh wait... maybe I do...

:lookhere: Test Kit Comparison

You get more reagents with the TF100. As far as what to do, it's like playing on the tail on the donkey without knowing your test results.

Yep, getting a TF100 soon. I know the rules for posting levels - ya caught me! I knew this reply would come too. Would have one by now, but I put too much faith in the chemical company. I'm doing most of the work myself anyway, no time like now to start doing the testing and chemicals too. I searched posts days before I posted this, but figured extra help couldn't hurt.

AP: This is my own pool, the same pool in my avatar picture. House was built in 1976 and I think the pool was added later. The pool is probably the cleanest it's been in years, just green (now lighter) water. Nothing growing on the walls. I turned the light on in the pool tonight and I can almost see the drain in the 10' deep end. There is hope!

I'm gonna leave the pump on another 24 hours and see if I can't find a decent test kit when I hit the box stores tomorrow. I hope to not get green hair this summer!

Well if you do get green hair, it'll be because of a copper based algaecide. Do you know what chemicals the pool guy was adding? If you order the TF100 now, you should get it in under a week's time, maybe sooner. I would hazard a guess and say a partial drain/refill is in your future but that would be like playing a dart game in the dark. :lol:

Yep, getting a TF100 soon.<clipped>

I'm gonna leave the pump on another 24 hours and see if I can't find a decent test kit when I hit the box stores tomorrow. I hope to not get green hair this summer!

You won't find the TF-100 in stores. And there is no better kit out there. Order today (see link in siggy) and it should be there sometime this week I bet? The longer you delay in getting a goooooood test kit, the longer the green will be there. :(

You won't find the TF-100 in stores. And there is no better kit out there. Order today (see link in siggy) and it should be there sometime this week I bet? The longer you delay in getting a goooooood test kit, the longer the green will be there. :(

Yes to everyone who replied. I already ordered the TF100xl, like I should have a long time ago. I know I won't find it in stores, but I was looking for something to get me by, which there really is nothing. Green hair = copper, and probably why the water is green. In case there was some confusion - I already started the drain and fill, just not completely at once to avoid floating or cracking, and I can't get a submerbersible pump. I am looking for a hose that will connect to the "cleanout" jet, like it seems there was one available for that very use but not anymore. I'm actually looking for the blue rubber/poly bulk hose my parents used in the 80's, so I can just attach it with an eyeball ring.

Chemicals:
Chlorine gas
Basically BBB

I should have known better. :rolleyes:

Great job on ordering the TF-100 XL:goodjob:. It is an investment that will pay for itself in short order. You will likely have it in 3 days. Once it arrives, run a full suite of tests and post your results. You are on your way to a crystal clear pool.

Update: Water is looking MUCH better. Not quite clear, murky, a lot less green, and I can see the Kreepy Krauly and the shape of the drain. Did another partial drain & fill today - the yard is getting a much needed watering. 97* today, but it felt at least 100*, 80* in the pool after halfway filling it back up. I almost jumped in. :D

A couple more days of partial draining and finishing out next month's service (already paid for) and I should be doing my own BBB and hopefully saving $50/month.

How much does everybody spend on BBB, other supplies, and reagents per month?

How much does everybody spend on BBB, other supplies, and reagents per month?

I probably have spent about $150 per YEAR since I use a SWG. My salt has remained stable (two bags in shed on standby though). I bought a gallon of MA last year and its still half full and rarely used, I bought one big bag of Baking Soda and a box of Borax to have on hand...keep a big bottle of bleach on hand for occasional bump ups... Got some new scrubbing mitts to help scrub sidewall water line and a couple of new thermometers...phffffft. Some older bottles of hot tub chemicals that I have had forever it seems since I use them only on new fills then move on to bleach. My biggest expense (ha, hardly *that* big really) has been keeping my test kit reagents refilled.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.