Pool Lights and the GFCI

LCF

May 24, 2014
Garland, Texas
[FONT=&quot]Welcome to TFP!:wave: I started a new Thread for your post. Please start a new Thread whenever you have a question or new topic as opposed to posting your question on someone else's Thread (we call that practice "hijacking"). Plus, posting your question in a new Thread is more likely to get responses. --BoDarville, TFP Moderator[/FONT]

I have question about Pool Lights and the GFCI, if one of you can help me....

Both the spa light and pool light are controlled by the same switch inside our house. They each have their own control box with a sliding dimmer switch on opposite sides of the pool. We typically just kept both dimmers on full and controlled the both lights from the one switch in the house until recently they just stopped working. The GCFI was tripped and as long as they were on it wouldn't stop tripping. I turned the dimmers both off and just tested the pool light, it worked. Tested the spa light and it works if the light stays very dim, but if I go brighter it trips again. Do you think I need a new dimmer switch? New GCFI switch? New light?

Pool Lights and GCFI tripping

Needing some advice...

I have two lights. One in the spa and one in the pool. They each have their own box with a dimmer switch on opposite sides of the pool and are controlled by a single on/off switch in the house. They were both kept on full and controlled in the house for a while until one day they just stopped working. I discovered the GCFI had tripped and wouldn't come back on unless I turned off the spa dimmer. The pool light works by itself without tripping, but the spa one will only go up about half way before it trips it. Do you think is the dimmer switch on the spa light, the light itself OR the GCFI?

How do I know before I go to the trouble and expense of changing something?

Re: Pool Lights and GCFI tripping

Welcome to TFP!

I suspect that the GFCI is fine, otherwise the pool light probably wouldn't work. That leaves the dimmer and the spa light. The light is more likely to be an issue, especially if water has gotten inside, though we can't rule out the dimmer.

Welcome to TFP!

I suspect that the GFCI is fine, otherwise the pool light probably wouldn't work. That leaves the dimmer and the spa light. The light is more likely to be an issue, especially if water has gotten inside, though we can't rule out the dimmer.

Thanks.

Is there a way to check before spending any money or making any changes?

Shut off the breaker, pull the dimmer out, wire the two leads together and turn the breaker back on. If the problem goes away, it is the switch. If not, it is the light or associated wiring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.