Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Lights and the GFCI

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Lights and the GFCI

Welcome to TFP! I started a new Thread for your post. Please start a new Thread whenever you have a question or new topic as opposed to posting your question on someone else's Thread (we call that practice "hijacking"). Plus, posting your question in a new Thread is more likely to get responses. --BoDarville, TFP Moderator

I have question about Pool Lights and the GFCI, if one of you can help me....

Both the spa light and pool light are controlled by the same switch inside our house. They each have their own control box with a sliding dimmer switch on opposite sides of the pool. We typically just kept both dimmers on full and controlled the both lights from the one switch in the house until recently they just stopped working. The GCFI was tripped and as long as they were on it wouldn't stop tripping. I turned the dimmers both off and just tested the pool light, it worked. Tested the spa light and it works if the light stays very dim, but if I go brighter it trips again. Do you think I need a new dimmer switch? New GCFI switch? New light?

2. Back To Top    #2

Question Pool Lights and GCFI tripping

Needing some advice...

I have two lights. One in the spa and one in the pool. They each have their own box with a dimmer switch on opposite sides of the pool and are controlled by a single on/off switch in the house. They were both kept on full and controlled in the house for a while until one day they just stopped working. I discovered the GCFI had tripped and wouldn't come back on unless I turned off the spa dimmer. The pool light works by itself without tripping, but the spa one will only go up about half way before it trips it. Do you think is the dimmer switch on the spa light, the light itself OR the GCFI?

How do I know before I go to the trouble and expense of changing something?

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pool Lights and GCFI tripping

Welcome to TFP!

I suspect that the GFCI is fine, otherwise the pool light probably wouldn't work. That leaves the dimmer and the spa light. The light is more likely to be an issue, especially if water has gotten inside, though we can't rule out the dimmer.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Welcome to TFP!

I suspect that the GFCI is fine, otherwise the pool light probably wouldn't work. That leaves the dimmer and the spa light. The light is more likely to be an issue, especially if water has gotten inside, though we can't rule out the dimmer.
    Thanks.

Is there a way to check before spending any money or making any changes?

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Shut off the breaker, pull the dimmer out, wire the two leads together and turn the breaker back on. If the problem goes away, it is the switch. If not, it is the light or associated wiring.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: Pool Lights and the GFCI

It sounds like the problem may be in the spa light or its dimmer. Someone with more electrical knowledge than I can tell you how to test the dimmer and light.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Re: Pool Lights and the GFCI

Reading thru the second post you posted, I am going to suspect a bad wire in the spa light
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump