Test Kit

DeeDee

Jun 11, 2013
Houston, TX
I received my TF-100 test kit. I'm not sure which chlorine test that TFP recommends to do daily. Is it the Chlorine Drop Test (with powder) that gives the FC level or is it the TC test with the 2-sided container that measures Cl and pH?

I do the test that uses the powder when I am testing because the target that I am shooting for (4 ppm minimum) is nearly impossible to read on the drop based OTO test. If ind that the OTO test is fine to tell me IF there is chlorine in the pool, but not HOW MUCH chlorine there is in the pool.

However, if you have a SWG pool and need to keep FC at 1.5 to 2.0 ppm, I think the OTO would be fine.

I notice that you are in Houston, so Welcome! I suspect that you do not have SWG since it is not in your signature. Therefore, in this area you will be keeping CYA at about 50 ppm most of the summer and therefore your range will be like mine. My pool is at CYA 45 now and so my FC range is 4 min, 8 goal. Your pool is just a bit larger than mine. In my pool, a jug of either 10% liquid shock one gallon on jug of 6% bleach at 96 oz will add just about 4 ppm to the pool. I'm not sure what the new 8% jugs actually add as I've stuck to the Liquid Shock recently. I keep those sorts of things on sticky notes inside the test kit box.

I also use the powder to test daily or every other day. I like to know how high or low my FC really is. :mrgreen:

I also use the powder to test daily or every other day. I like to know how high or low my FC really is. :mrgreen:

X2

I suggest doing this for a while until you have a really good feel for what your FC does...and that you know you have no or very little CC. Even though I do, it is extremely rare that I use the OTO kit for Chlorine.

Personally I almost always use the FAS-DPD test for my pool, I do however use the yellow color matching OTO test for my hot tub, this is because the hot tub has a much wider swing to its chlorine level due to the added ratio of bather to body of water size.

Ike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You should do a full battery of tests and post the results here. Chlorine is chlorine, whether it's solid or liquid. But we really need to see what your cya level currently is to advise you on what you need to do. If it's too high, you need to not use those tabs anymore.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.