Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test Kit

1. Back To Top    #1

Test Kit

I received my TF-100 test kit. I'm not sure which chlorine test that TFP recommends to do daily. Is it the Chlorine Drop Test (with powder) that gives the FC level or is it the TC test with the 2-sided container that measures Cl and pH?
    DeeDee
    24Kgal/IG/Pebble/525sq.ft.CartridgeFilter/1.5 HP Pump/Built 2012

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test Kit

Daily, you will want to do the OTO Test. (The one with Cl and Ph)
    There are of course exceptions to this, ie. When SLAMing.
    15k gal, Pebbltec. Built in 2004. 2 HP Pump, Cartridge Filter, Hayward SWG, Hayward Navigator Cleaner, TF-100 / Orlando, Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

I do the test that uses the powder when I am testing because the target that I am shooting for (4 ppm minimum) is nearly impossible to read on the drop based OTO test. If ind that the OTO test is fine to tell me IF there is chlorine in the pool, but not HOW MUCH chlorine there is in the pool.

However, if you have a SWG pool and need to keep FC at 1.5 to 2.0 ppm, I think the OTO would be fine.

I notice that you are in Houston, so Welcome! I suspect that you do not have SWG since it is not in your signature. Therefore, in this area you will be keeping CYA at about 50 ppm most of the summer and therefore your range will be like mine. My pool is at CYA 45 now and so my FC range is 4 min, 8 goal. Your pool is just a bit larger than mine. In my pool, a jug of either 10% liquid shock one gallon on jug of 6% bleach at 96 oz will add just about 4 ppm to the pool. I'm not sure what the new 8% jugs actually add as I've stuck to the Liquid Shock recently. I keep those sorts of things on sticky notes inside the test kit box.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

I also use the powder to test daily or every other day. I like to know how high or low my FC really is.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Is it the Chlorine Drop Test (with powder) that gives the FC level or is it the TC test with the 2-sided container that measures Cl and pH?
    It's the 2-sided container that you use daily (it's called a comparator block)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I also use the powder to test daily or every other day. I like to know how high or low my FC really is.

X2

I suggest doing this for a while until you have a really good feel for what your FC does...and that you know you have no or very little CC. Even though I do, it is extremely rare that I use the OTO kit for Chlorine.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

No, I don't have a SWG pool. Once your water is stabilized, how often do you find yourself having to add an entire jug of liquid shock or bleach?
    DeeDee

8. Back To Top    #8

It is typical to have to add 2-3ppm of FC every day. Whether that is as bottle or not depends in your pool size. Have you started using PoolMath yet?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Personally I almost always use the FAS-DPD test for my pool, I do however use the yellow color matching OTO test for my hot tub, this is because the hot tub has a much wider swing to its chlorine level due to the added ratio of bather to body of water size.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm using up some remaining chlorine tablets since I need to raise the CYN level. I'll probably start with bleach next week.
    DeeDee

11. Back To Top    #11

You should do a full battery of tests and post the results here. Chlorine is chlorine, whether it's solid or liquid. But we really need to see what your cya level currently is to advise you on what you need to do. If it's too high, you need to not use those tabs anymore.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter