Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hate birds !!!

1. Back To Top    #1

I hate birds !!!

Certainly I cannot be the only one battling this.

I go outside on more than one occasion to find bird **** on the top "walkway" of my above ground pool. And usually a couple droppings in the pool...usually after I've just vacuumed....Its driving me nuts!!!!
    Is there some hidden sign for avians noting my pool as the party place?

How the heck do I deal with this? (short of grabbing my trusty 12 gauge with bird shot

I had a friend say to try a realistic rubber snake. Does that really work?
    Has anyone else been dealing with this?
    24' Round Above Ground - 13,500 gal, Cartridge Filter, Installed on 5-7-14, First Time Pool Owner! TFP True Believer!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I hate birds !!!

We've used a rubber snake for some time now, it really does work well.

3. Back To Top    #3

If it works for you, I'm def going to give it a try as this is driving me crazy!!
    I plan on being the first person at Toys R Us tomorrow morning looking for the most realistic, hungry, bird eating rubber snake I can find.
    24' Round Above Ground - 13,500 gal, Cartridge Filter, Installed on 5-7-14, First Time Pool Owner! TFP True Believer!

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you like cats?

Just kidding, my AGP gets bombed on a regular basis. I have a huge oak tree hanging over my pool that is full of "nature". Birds usually don't hang around at ground level when my cat is around, but they do let fly from the upper branches from time to time. In the fall the squirrels have acorn chucking contests to see how many they can land in the pool. I used to have a family of racoons wash their food in the pool at night, but I think the cat chased them off.

You can try the snake if you find one that floats so it looks like it is swimming in the pool. If it just sits there the birds catch on pretty quick.

Cats or dogs are probably the best deterrent to chase off birds.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I put a snake under the deck to prevent the birds from building a nest and they build the nest on the snake's back! I put an owl up and they build a nest on the owl's head (see my avatar). I am also scooping several bird bombs out of my pool every day.
    24,000 Gal In Ground pool
    Vinyl Liner; Sand Filter
    Pentair Intelliflo pump
    Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 SWG
    Raypak Gas Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

OMG!!! I have bird poo in my pool! On my rails! On the side of my pool... REALLY?! How does that happen?!!!! On my ladder! I am so sick of it that I too am ready to break out the Marlin Lever Action. It looks like I will be buying rubber snakes too! I will also be putting a nice big one in the bottom of the pool and moving them around the outside and hanging 1 or 2 on the rails of the pool! I think it is so discusting and wipe it off only to have 4 more splatters awaiting me the next day!

Adding a pic to show how these birds have an amazing skill at bombing the wall of my pool!

You should see my car!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I will try anything at this point...except the whole cat thing <------Hate them almost as much as these **** birds.
    You had me laughing my arse off with the acorn chucking contest piece. Guess I have it easy compared to that.

- - - Updated - - -

Casey I'm right there with ya! No sooner do I finish cleaning up one mess on the top rail and stowing the pain in the butt hose and vacuum from one bombing run in the pool then I turn my back and BOOM, more of it.
    I used to love birds, even had a feeder at one time...but those days are GONE!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tlwilson View Post
    I put a snake under the deck to prevent the birds from building a nest and they build the nest on the snake's back! I put an owl up and they build a nest on the owl's head (see my avatar). I am also scooping several bird bombs out of my pool every day.
    Hahaha...making a mockery of it are they? Nothing like em rubbing salt in the wound.

8. Back To Top    #8

We'll still get some, however we really did see a decline in the bombs after we put 3-4 out. Plus the kids enjoy scaring their friends when they first come to swim. We passed on the expensive ones, as the cheapos worked just as well.

9. Back To Top    #9

Roger that Leebo, thanks for the advice. Will def be shopping tomorrow!

10. Back To Top    #10

I have seen some commercial pools use fishing line well above (>10') the pool in a cross/mesh configuration to keep the birds away. It doesn't always work but they claim it helps.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

11. Back To Top    #11

WOW, fishing line....haven't heard of that one before. Guess it would make for a bad bombing run to the unsuspecting bird bombardier. Might be a bit fearful I would wake up to a few DOA's floating in the pool or hanging from the line.

12. Back To Top    #12

"I am so sick of it that I too am ready to break out the Marlin Lever Action."

I have better luck with a 12 gauge.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

13. Back To Top    #13

I had a customer that had a horrible bird problem for years. He tried scarecrows, rubber snakes and all sorts of contraptions.

He finally found a falcon trainer and the trainer brought out a couple of falcons for a few hours each day... no more bird problem. Temporary solution though, the falcon guy got to be expensive.

Maybe if you guys could get your hands on a pet falcon and teach him how to chase the Bombers?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

14. Back To Top    #14

Maybe a fake falcon with a motor that just sits on the perch with its head slowly turning 360 degree circles...
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

15. Back To Top    #15

They do make bobble-head owls that are supposed to keep birds away.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

16. Back To Top    #16

Love the falcon idea, wish I had a buddy that trained em as I'm sure that it is def expensive.
    Richard, I was thinking the same thing with the moving Owl idea. I've seen them at mounted on archways above some building entrance areas to keep pigeons from perching and pooping on people. Think I will try those too.
    Something needs to work, maybe just takes a combo of ideas.

17. Back To Top    #17

Just a couple of references for the fishing line:

http://www.wikihow.com/Keep-Birds-Away-from-Your-Pool

http://www.arthurspools.com/above_gr...rdproblems.htm

Birds can see the line much better than we can so they avoid it.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

18. Back To Top    #18

I'm hating the stupid freaking birds this year too! Big evil Bradford Pear behind the fence. (Neighbor's yard or I would have hacked that thing down already!)
    There is also a big berry tree of some sort in my other neighbor's yard. That one is causing the problems now. Full of big ripe berries. Birds love it. All kinds of birds. All over the tree. Pooping berry poop on my tan roof gazebo. Dropping berries in my pool. Pooping in my pool. *sigh*

Last year was bad and I hope what happened last year doesn't happen this year. At some point during the summer I started noticing tons of we'll say "stuff" in my pool. One day I noticed a large black bird sitting on the gazebo roof with what appeared to be *stuff* in his beak. I did some googling. Mother birds sometimes clean their nest of the poopy-pee "sacks" that the baby birds leave and for some reason they'll drop it in WATER!!! That bird was doing this. Several times a day! It was DISGUSTING. It was like my pool was the bird septic tank.

Right now I'm just making use of my Pool Blaster Max vacuum. Very good purchase. I don't have to get out the stupid hose anymore.

Iceman, Hello from Va Beach!
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Beens View Post
    I'm hating the stupid freaking birds this year too! Big evil Bradford Pear behind the fence. (Neighbor's yard or I would have hacked that thing down already!)
    There is also a big berry tree of some sort in my other neighbor's yard. That one is causing the problems now. Full of big ripe berries. Birds love it. All kinds of birds. All over the tree. Pooping berry poop on my tan roof gazebo. Dropping berries in my pool. Pooping in my pool. *sigh*

Last year was bad and I hope what happened last year doesn't happen this year. At some point during the summer I started noticing tons of we'll say "stuff" in my pool. One day I noticed a large black bird sitting on the gazebo roof with what appeared to be *stuff* in his beak. I did some googling. Mother birds sometimes clean their nest of the poopy-pee "sacks" that the baby birds leave and for some reason they'll drop it in WATER!!! That bird was doing this. Several times a day! It was DISGUSTING. It was like my pool was the bird septic tank.

Right now I'm just making use of my Pool Blaster Max vacuum. Very good purchase. I don't have to get out the stupid hose anymore.

Iceman, Hello from Va Beach!
    Hey Beens, another VABeach'er. Good to see I'm not the only one dealing with this headache. Its such a pain in the arse to deal with that difficult vacuum hose over and over again, I've been trying to find a better solution to it, will def take a good look at the Pool Blaster Max vacuum that you use. Good results with it??

Wife and I have been outside around the pool area and she actually saw them do a bombing run and drop the poop sac out of their mouth right in to the pool. BLEH!

20. Back To Top    #20

Hey, I had all kinds of birds around my yard for weeks. My yard is enclosed by cedar hedges and I think there is at least 3 or 4 nests going on around them. They were swooping down about a foot above the pool and dumping right in it and I swear they were having target practice on my patio table. It was disgusting. And I had two owls that I was moving around every day. Did nothing.

Read online that hanging old cd's works. Thought I might as well give it a try. I put up 5 cd's; just tied to low hanging tree branches, some hanging plant stands and from the pool shed. I have had maybe 4 or 5 new poops in my yard and I have had these up for over a week. The way the light reflects apparently freaks out the birds. It works... tie up some cd's!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast