Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello and help from New Jersey confused

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello and help from New Jersey confused

NJ Mike: I deleted the other Thread you had on this subject since this one had more responses.
    --BoDarville, TFP Moderator

Hello and thank you in advance ,opened pool last week took sample to pool guy was told FC was zero added 20 lbs of shock to date fc still read zero found this forum and purchased a TF-100 test kit here are the readings

FC 6
    CC 1.5
    TC 7.5
    CH 300
    TA 130
    CYA 100

I always went by what the pool guy said so all this is new to me what are my next steps also have a chlorinator with tablets installed .water is clear Thanks again Mike
    16 x30 grecian 15k,IG vinyl,jacuzzi sand filter model#DV 7-POS ,1.5 HP, Aqua Geni skimmer/feeder

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Hello and help from New Jersey confused

Hey, Mike,

Welcome to the forum.

Your CYA is too high....almost surely from the over use of pucks. I would suggest you do two consective drain/refills....each at 33% of your pool water.

That should get your CYA down around 40 or so and will make your season with your pool much more manageable and enjoyable.

I know that's a bitter pill after you have opened so well but without reducing that CYA, you will need to keep your FC up around 10 ppm all summer and, well, that is a LOT of chlorine....much more expensive than the water to refill (about $50, I think...depending on your water rate)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for your response what is the correct way to drain /refills.
    16 x30 grecian 15k,IG vinyl,jacuzzi sand filter model#DV 7-POS ,1.5 HP, Aqua Geni skimmer/feeder

4. Back To Top    #4

Since you have a vinyl liner pool, you never want to drain it all at once. You need to leave at least 1 foot of water in the shallow end of the pool to prevent the liner from shifting. We recommend you drain no more than 50% of the pool's volume at one time. After the drain refill the water, circulate for an hour and re-test. Report your results here.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

You can use a main drain if you have one or a sump pump.

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on ordering the TF100 test kit and wanting to take back control of your pool. While you're here waiting for your pool to drain and refill, check out these articles in Pool School:

ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Chlorine CYA Chart
    PoolMath
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

You're not THE Jersey Mike are you?

Welcome anyway.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP Mike !
    The others above got you covered. Post up your results after your water replacement and we'll get you pointed in the right direction. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    You're not THE Jersey Mike are you?

Welcome anyway.
    Noop

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for all the replies will keep you updated

10. Back To Top    #10

Welcome to TFP! Once you drain and you follow the tips you find on this site you'll take your pool over! The feeling is liberating! It'll all begin to make sense, just gotta hang in there. Just drain and refill. Check back in with us after you begin to refill your pool and we will point you in the right direction. It's that simple!
    Massimo
    15X30 AG Vinyl (10,600 GAL) Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp
    Hayward Sand Filter, Pool Rover JR, 12ML Solar Cover,
    TF100, BBB Method! POOL SCHOOL
    I Don't Get "Pool Stored!"

11. Back To Top    #11

starting the drain today .Happy Memorial Day everyone and thank you to all that have served and are serving GOD SPEED

12. Back To Top    #12

I had responded to the other Thread you had on this subject (which I have since deleted). I had basically suggested what you are doing (a drain & refill).

Just FYI (and for the benefit of other members), the maximum reading of the CYA tube is 100. Whenever you get a result of "100" on the CYA test, it could be considerably higher than that which would impact how much water needs to be replaced. Therefore, you would want to repeat the test using these directions: Extended Test Kit Directions. Scroll down to post #8 for the CYA test. No need for you to do this now that you have started the drain & refill, just posting for future reference.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by BoDarville View Post
    I had responded to the other Thread you had on this subject (which I have since deleted). I had basically suggested what you are doing (a drain & refill).

Just FYI (and for the benefit of other members), the maximum reading of the CYA tube is 100. Whenever you get a result of "100" on the CYA test, it could be considerably higher than that which would impact how much water needs to be replaced. Therefore, you would want to repeat the test using these directions: Extended Test Kit Directions. Scroll down to post #8 for the CYA test. No need for you to do this now that you have started the drain & refill, just posting for future reference.
    Thank You for all the help will keep updated

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Mike View Post
    NJ Mike: I deleted the other Thread you had on this subject since this one had more responses.
    --BoDarville, TFP Moderator

Hello and thank you in advance ,opened pool last week took sample to pool guy was told FC was zero added 20 lbs of shock to date fc still read zero found this forum and purchased a TF-100 test kit here are the readings

FC 6
    CC 1.5
    TC 7.5
    CH 300
    TA 130
    CYA 100

I always went by what the pool guy said so all this is new to me what are my next steps also have a chlorinator with tablets installed .water is clear Thanks again Mike
    Good Morning after partial drain and fill part 1.my new reading are
    PH 7.2
    FC 1
    CC 1.5
    TC 2.5
    CH 225
    TA 90
    CYA 70

Hope im heading in the right direction at this point should i drain and refill pool again or can we work with this Thanks Mike

15. Back To Top    #15

pool.jpg

this is what water look like

16. Back To Top    #16

I see you have a CC 1.5. Your water looks clear but your FC level is way to low. I would bring your FC level up to SLAM level for your CYA level which is 28. That may knock that CC down.
    If it were my pool I would want the CYA level lower. 50-40. IMO the pool is easier to maintain there.
    Now with that said, your CYA level of 70 is doable. You just have to stay on top of your FC levels so it doesn't fall below the min. For that CYA level I would be targeting 9 and don't let it fall below 5. You don't want to have an algae outbreak at that CYA level, it just makes you have to use more bleach for the SLAM process. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    I see you have a CC 1.5. Your water looks clear but your FC level is way to low. I would bring your FC level up to SLAM level for your CYA level which is 28. That may knock that CC down.
    If it were my pool I would want the CYA level lower. 50-40. IMO the pool is easier to maintain there.
    Now with that said, your CYA level of 70 is doable. You just have to stay on top of your FC levels so it doesn't fall below the min. For that CYA level I would be targeting 9 and don't let it fall below 5. You don't want to have an algae outbreak at that CYA level, it just makes you have to use more bleach for the SLAM process. ��
    I agree with you with CYA level 50-40 ,back to the drain and refill part 2 .will keep everyone updated Thanks Mike

18. Back To Top    #18

Mike you also need to get some chlorine in the pool ASAP or your going to be fighting algae. I don't think you want to do that process. Bring it up to SLAM level for your CYA level. Your CC's are a little high.
    Jeff

19. Back To Top    #19

procees already started for 2nd drain and fill ,will have to start slamming after i refill hopefully time will be on my side

20. Back To Top    #20

question how do i calculate bleach for the slam ,example fc 1 cya 60 do i use target fc # OR FC SHOCK #

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast