Just opened in Pittsburgh PA

chclark

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 14, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Summer is here!!!
Just opened for the 2014 season and my second TFPC season.

FC 1
ALK 50
PH 7.2
CYA 40

Water temp is 71 and the water is as clear as when I closed it in October. Going to add some solar panels and a control system. Going to be a good season!! Thanks again to TFP.

Congrats to opening to clear water !!
I would get my FC level up. I'd shoot for a FC level of 7 and don't let it fall below 3. Everything else looks pretty good. If your PH seems to jump around you can bump your TA up a bit to 70. ?

I do not have a heater as of yet. Looking into a solar system. I think all of us in PA are looking at some colder water temps then usual!

- - - Updated - - -

oh just one more thing for all the Pittsburghers. I think it was posted in the bleach prices but local Ace Hardwares have 10% for $2.50 a gallon.... went and got 20 gallons.

Just opened up today a little south east of Pittsburgh. FC was 0, PH 7.0 +/-, CYA I am guessing 20 or so as the tube filled up before the dot vanished. I added 35 oz of stabilizer (in a sock) to hopefully get CYA to about 40 but won't know until later this week for sure. I added 112 oz of borax to raise PH, but I think it went a little too far. Looks like about 8.0 now, but I will adjust with Muratic Acid after my FC drops back to normal at the end of my shock process. I added bleach to take me to 16 ppm and only lost .5 through the late afternoon and evening today. I am going to add enough bleach to take it back to 16 for the overnight. My CC was .5 or less on the last test.
My water was a bit cloudy when I opened but there was no visible signs of algae growth. My hope is a day or two of maintaining Shock Level should clear things up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So we decided to go with a gas heater instead of the solar. Our season is not that long here in PA and we don't have a lot of sunny days so to us it was just the better choice. Went with the Hayward H250FD. Having a relative who is a plumber help with install tomorrow.

Here are my latest test results. Does anything change with the chemicals now that a heater is added to the system?

FC 4
ALK 50
PH 7.2
CYA 40
CH 80

I will bring FC up to 7, and ALK up to 70.

We cannot wait to swim in 85 degree water in june, Usually it takes until mid july. to break 82!!!!

My water is at 75° and although it steals my breath it's nice once I'm in! :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.