Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Crusty ring around pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Crusty ring around pool?

Opened pool today and I have this crusty ring around the pool where the water level was. This is my 1st time opening it up and I tried to brush it off but it's not coming off. It feels like sand paper. Also to note that I didn't cover it or do anything this winter so I did drain it and will be starting fresh. Does anyone know what this could be and how to get rid of it? Thanks
    Intex Ultra Frame 18x48, AG, 6,423 gallons, vinyl, Intex 635T cartridge filter pump - 1500 gph, No SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Crusty ring around pool?

It's likely Calcium Scale. Mix up some acid and water 1/3 strength in a spray bottle and spray the crusty stuff. Wear gloves, maybe some glasses, definitely old clothes. Avoid breathing the fumes. The stuff should fizz up and you can scrub it off with a scrub brush then rinse with the hose and repeat.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

What kind of acid should be used?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Trey9007 View Post
    What kind of acid should be used?
    Muriatic acid.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, worked very well for me.