Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool emergency!

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool emergency!

All of my hottub water went to my pool. Any idea how this would happen?

- - - Updated - - -

Just want to add that it's not "gone" but the pool water level is duper high. It seems to be a closed circuit of water but none is staying in the hot tub.
    17,000 inground gunite pool finished June 2013. Pentair variable speed something or another. Polaris cleaner, inline rainbow chlorinator. Using trichlor until CYA reaches 50-60.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool emergency!

The most common cause is a failure of the check valve on the spa return line. This can also be caused by the valve that controls spa vs pool suction not closing all the way, but that is less common.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

You've got a valve in the wrong position. It drew from the spa and returned to the pool. The pump is probably sucking air now.

If you've got some kind of automation, something glitched.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

We turned the pump on and for a few minutes it started to fill, but then it stopped filling and the drain opened up and drained the small amount of water out. I turned everything off but here's what the pump and valves are set to. Should I close the main drain?
    17,000 inground gunite pool finished June 2013. Pentair variable speed something or another. Polaris cleaner, inline rainbow chlorinator. Using trichlor until CYA reaches 50-60.

5. Back To Top    #5

More play by play. I agree that something maybe glitches so I turned it off for a few, filled the spa a little, reset my intellitouch panel and now the baskets are priming. Oh yay...spa return is filling the spa again. Let's hope it doesn't drain out again. I'll keep y'all posted.

- - - Updated - - -

Ugh it's draining out.

6. Back To Top    #6

Can you turn off the drain in the spa?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

If I turn off the main drain, does that include the spa?

8. Back To Top    #8

Oh gosh. I hope you figure it out!!!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

I've shut it off and I probably won't have anyone able to come out until Tuesday or longer. My pool is still under the 1 year warranty until June 21st. It will be free to have it fixed but I'm at the mercy of their schedule. And it's pool building season so I'm low priority I'm sure. :P

I hate this! I've learned how to be in complete control of my pool chemicals and maintenance but I'm at a total loss with the pump. I'm going to fill up a big glass of wine and just chill. It's my daughters 12th birthday and I have 8 girls spending the night. The show must go on!

10. Back To Top    #10

You can try shutting off the main drain and draw from the skimmers only and see if that works. You may want to wait until you have a couple of hours free and some daylight to try this.

8 pre-teen girls! You are far braver than I! I have all boys!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Pool was off all night and now it's super cloudy from having 10 kids swimming all day and night. I'm going to try shutting off the main drain to see if I can run the pump without losing spa water.

12. Back To Top    #12

Alrighty I googled a little and I think one of the automated actuators are busted. I removed one actuator and now I can manually turn the valve. Since I don't have a good understanding of what valves do what, I randomly chose to remove the actuator that is farthest away from the pool heater. I manually turned it and set it to block off "spa". Fired up the pump and now the spa is filling and no longer draining. I was shooting in the dark but...I fixed it! I am woman hear me rooooaaaaaar! My husband was irritated that I was messing with it, but I lucked out.

Here you can see that the automated box thing is off. I put all 8 screws in so the valve handle doesn't fit on correctly. The black actuator box thing is set off to the left.