Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Theep

1. Back To Top    #1

Theep

Welcome to TFP I started a new thread for your post. Please start a new Thread whenever you have a question or new topic as opposed to posting your question on someone else's Thread (we call that practice "hijacking"). Plus, posting your question in a new Thread is more likely to get responses. --duraleigh, TFP Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    You're at the upper limit of what's actually manageable for CH. It will require maintaining low TA and low pH to prevent scale formation. I keep TA 50-60 and pH below 7.5, always targeting 7.2 when I add acid. I'm just waiting for some rain so I can soften up my pool water.
    Richard,
    My pool was just finished 2 weeks ago, so I am learning how things work. I live in Tucson, so I am expecting a lot of evaporation, plus our water is pretty hard. I was wondering how the TA and pH you recommend helps with keeping the water soft, and I assume the scaling down.
    Old: 50 gallon bathtub, white fiberglass. Single drain. Faucet and "rain" feature. Elbow grease cleaning system.
    New: 28x15', 11.5K Gunite, 480 sqft cartridge filter, Pebble Fina Grigio, Glow-in-the-dark accent tiles. 30' Negative Edge. Aquabot Turbo T-Jet Robot. 0 sq ft pool deck. TF-100. Tucson Pool Build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Draining my pool?

Quote Originally Posted by Theep View Post
    Richard,
    My pool was just finished 2 weeks ago, so I am learning how things work. I live in Tucson, so I am expecting a lot of evaporation, plus our water is pretty hard. I was wondering how the TA and pH you recommend helps with keeping the water soft, and I assume the scaling down.
    Use poolmath. Plug all your numbers in. At the bottom, it gives CSI. CSI above .6 will probably lead to scale formation. Below -.6 will likely etch the plaster. As long as you're between those extremes, don't sweat it. But if you play around with the Target a little, see what raising the temperature does, and pH, TA, and CH. You'll see how they can push it towards scaling. You can't really control CH except by draining and refilling, you have no control over temperature, but you have a limited range of pH for comfort, and some control over TA. So if you approach .6, see what you can adjust to keep it down. In my case, I keep pH at the low end of the safe zone and TA is around 60-70. That balances out the astronomical CH readings.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!