Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Added 11 jugs Clorox Concentrate and FC still at 1.5 ppm

1. Back To Top    #1

Unhappy Added 11 jugs Clorox Concentrate and FC still at 1.5 ppm

I'm new to pooling and last year (when we moved in) I used the pucks and shock that the pool told us too. It didn't work well. This year I found the forum, bought a tf-100 and discovered my CYA is 180. I emptied 2/3 of the pool and now CYA is 80. Still high but I'll get it down over time.

We opened the pool a couple of weeks ago but I cannot get the FC up at all. At first I added 3 jugs to get up to the minimum 9ppm per the CYA/Cl chart. I didn't test it right after I added it but the next day's test showed 1-2 ppm (OTO and FAS/DPD). Another 4 jugs go in and the same thing.

Today I added 11 jugs of Clorox 8.5% from Costco then tested after 1.5 hours and my FC is still 1.5ppm! This is driving me up a wall and into the poorhouse. What's going on here?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Added 11 jugs Clorox Concentrate and FC still at 1.5 ppm

Welcome to TFP!

More than likely you have some kind of contaminant using up chlorine rapidly. You should follow the SLAMing Your Pool process to get the chlorine consumption under control.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

What does the pool look like? Can you even see through the water? If there's a lot of debris in the bottom, it will use up all the chlorine before it can work on the algae.

Check out some threads of people who've done it
    First Time Shocking with Bleach
    Pretty black pool
    A little encouragement for those with algae and new to BBB
    Frog Filled Green Swamp to Oasis---Work in Progress!!!
    Before and After Pool Pics
    Before and after!
    A final picture set of how well the BBB method works!
    And who are still doing it: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...h-help-on-pool
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Richard - The pool is 80% clear. The deep end is a bit murky but not terrible and not green.

Hi John - That's what I'm trying to do wouldn't you expect the FC to increase by a little at least? You'd expect it not to budge at all?

Quick side Q: Are the methods espoused here cheaper than using the store pucks and raising the CYA back to the stratosphere, or is it just a better method to keep the pool balanced?
    30k gal, IG vinyl, polaris with a mind of its own.

5. Back To Top    #5

Our recommendations are far less expensive than what most pool stores recommend. There are other approaches that are about the same price as ours, but you don't see them mentioned very often.

Ammonia in the water uses up chlorine very very quickly, before it even mixes in throughly. You can never get an FC reading as long as there is still ammonia. Once you have burned off all of the ammonia, you will be able to hold an FC level again.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

What is your cc reading

- - - Updated - - -

The method here is cheaper. I used to spend $400 plus now I spend $75.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

cc is still 0. pool is completely free of debris now but still murky and the FC won't hold at all (won't rise at all).

I already spent $90 in bleach, $75 for the year would be amazing.

- - - Updated - - -

PS, pool store this morning told me that 'adjusted' TA is what we should be looking at, which is function of TA and CYA. Is this true? Pool math and the recommended levels table both just state TA.

8. Back To Top    #8

Could you post a complete set of water test results?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

of course, sorry! as of 10 minutes ago:

fc 0.1
    cc 0
    pH 7.2
    TA 100 (per tf-100) 75 (per pool store)
    CYA 80 (per tf-100) 100 (per pool store)

Just added 48oz soda ash to increase pH

10. Back To Top    #10

With CYA at 80, shock level is 31. If I am following correctly, you raised the pool to shock level once and it went back to FC at 1.5 in under two hours.

CC at zero argues against ammonia. I can't think of anything else that could use up that much chlorine that quickly and yet not drive FC to zero.

Perhaps it is time for an extreme chlorine demand test.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    With CYA at 80, shock level is 31. If I am following correctly, you raised the pool to shock level once and it went back to FC at 1.5 in under two hours.

CC at zero argues against ammonia. I can't think of anything else that could use up that much chlorine that quickly and yet not drive FC to zero.

Perhaps it is time for an extreme chlorine demand test.
    OK just finished the ECDT. I used a 3gal bucket (all I had) and 1 oz of 8.25% bleach. After 1 hour I tested for FC and it stopped the dropper at 45 ppm. Sounds like I passed? Does this mean that I need to add a poop-ton of bleach to the pool?

12. Back To Top    #12

Yea, quite a bit of chlorine. The ECDT says that it should be less than 50 ppm of chlorine to resolve the problem. We can't tell where between 1 ppm and 50 ppm it will actually be without more testing. You can do the testing, or just go ahead and start adding chlorine in batches and test an hour after each batch to see if you need more.

13. Back To Top    #13

I'm paying $8.59for 3x121 oz 8.25% bleach. Is that an ok/good price?

14. Back To Top    #14

Check the bleach prices 2014 topic to see the best prices others are getting these days.

15. Back To Top    #15

If you can, I recommend replacing 50% more of the water to reduce the CYA to 40 and that will make SLAMing the pool much easier.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

16. Back To Top    #16

Pool math says I should add 11 jugs of 121oz 8.25% bleach. I did this previously and it didn't do anything to FC. Is pool math wrong if it turns out I need to add ton more than 11 jugs?

17. Back To Top    #17

That is the most you should add at one time. I would add about 5 jugs now, and more later if need (likely but not certain). Test after an hour and see where you are. As long as FC continues to fall below 2 after an hour (or two or three), keep adding 5 jugs at a time. You can add more at a time if you want, but not more than 11 jugs at a time.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by tzanco View Post
    That's what I'm paying, but other people have done better.

Something is eating your chlorine. That can't last forever. Once you burn that it up, things will get better fast. Ignoring sunlight. You can't use that up.
    20,000 gal in-ground plaster pool with sand filter. Replastered recently. Mostly adding bleach and acid. CYA was high when I took over.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by tzanco View Post
    According to this http://poncatechsquad.com/Dan/Chlorine/ it calculates out to $0.287 per oz of chlorine which is consider fair. If you are close to Shrewsbury NJ, there is an Ocean State Job Lot store where you can get a gallon of 12.5 % Liquid Chlorine for $2.99 or $0.187 per oz. Here is CT at the OSJL that I go to, the stock moves fast and its always fresh, you just have to make sure to check the dates on the boxes.
    30,000 gal, 20 x 40 ft vinyl, IG, installed 2006
    1 HP WhisperFlo pump, 60 sqft Pentair Quad D.E., Liquidator(8 gallon) with 3/8 upgrade,TigerShark cleaning robot
    TFTestkits TF-100 with SpeedStir,WS
    A proud practitioner of TFP since 2013

20. Back To Top    #20

Emptied 2/3 and refilled. Now down to 55 CYA. Wish me luck!

Pool store this morning told me that 'adjusted' TA is what we should be looking at, which is function of TA and CYA. Is this true? Pool math and the recommended levels table both just state TA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast