16 X 32 buried Desert Spring build....

gtnos

Jun 9, 2013
Newcastle, Oklahoma
Started yesterday. Pool is on slope. Side closest to porch buried 30 inches. The other side 18 inches. 7 ft deep end in center (sport pool)

They got all the excavation done. Buttress supports installed. Ready for sand and side walls. Rain stopped them about an hour ago. Hopefully they can pick up again tomorrow otherwise it will be next weekend until its done.

once complete, I will form up to extend concrete porch out 10 feet to pool. With the size of our back porch (20 x 32) we figured a 10 x 32 sundeck added between porch and pool would be sufficient.

2014-05-23_16-10-09_892.jpg

2014-05-24_14-41-58_963.jpg

2014-05-24_14-41-43_987.jpg

2014-05-24_14-42-42_200.jpg

2014-05-24_14-42-16_106.jpg

2014-05-24_14-41-26_846.jpg

Ohhhhhhh can't wait to see this one out til the end!!! Good luck gtnos... Hope they can finish up tomorrow! :cool:

rain delays... :( PB wont be back out til friday to finish. gotta love Oklahoma weather. it wont rain a single drop... we are all dying in drought.... until I decide to build a pool. the way it was flooding the pool site yesterday, I was thinking I should have spent 15k on an ark, not a pool. :p

ill keep this thread updated. already PB is going to be giving me a discount. He was supposed to sink the pool deep enough that the top rail was about 1 inch above my back porch. He did sink it 30 inches as he originally told me he would, but failed to count for the height of the blocks he put the buttress supports on, which raised it 4+. By my laser level, the pool is 7 inches higher than the porch. :mad:

its not a huge deal, I talked to my father in law, (he is doing my concrete deck) and fortunately 7 inches is the perfect height for a step. So we are going to plan B and will form up to step up the pool deck from the porch. So there will be a 7 inch step up to the 10 x 32 deck. It will still look really nice, but the extra work and concrete is going to cost me a few hundred bucks, which means its gonna cost him a few hundred bucks.

EDIT: Actually, I measured the distance from the porch to pool and it is only 8 ft, not 10 ft. So we will have an 8 x 32 sundeck instead of a 10 x 32. and that also factors into why the pool is too high. If he would have put it 10 feet out (which I told him, and watched him measure and mark 10 ft out) the d@mn thing would have been perfect sunk at 30 inches like my original figures came to. :brickwall:

This sounds like about a $350.00 mistake to me. The original price for install with bury and deep end was $3100.00. He asked me to buy the sand and subtract it off the top. That was $165.00. So now we are at $2935.00. Im thinking I should owe him no more than $2600 bucks for this with the mistakes he made. That is penalizing him $335.00 for his inability to dig between the lines. Fortunately I have not paid him a dime yet..... nor have I pointed out his mistakes yet. :D

What do you guys think?

just dirt my friend. Just dirt. PB left plenty around the edges, I have my dads front end loader and box blade, so I will simply push the dirt in with the blade and all is good. You only have to add gravel / concrete slag if you are burying all the way. Also, so you know, the installers charge extra to backfill. The install price the dealer quotes you does not include in the installer picking up the pool or backfilling. My PB wanted $300 to backfill. As I said, I have tractor so I will save $300 bucks to use for pool toys. :D

Reactions: jasonbrink
site still drying out. we had several inches of rain over memorial weekend. I went out this morning and dug the 25' trench from the house to the pool for the electric. With all the rain we had, it went pretty easy. Its all ready for the electrician. PB will be out saturday to finish building pool and install liner. Electrician will be out next week, hopefully concrete as well. :D site still looks like last pic I posted. no cave ins or anything, PB will have to re-rake and form the pool bottom before sand.

lot of progress today. pool is up, filling as we speak, im stopping water here in a few hours just below skimmer openings. PB will be here at 900 am tomorrow to install skimmer and pump equipment, then finish liner install. Then ill top the pool off. Electrician expected out Mon - Tues to get everything hooked up, then its on to concrete. :party:

anyhoo.... here are the pics....

2014-05-31_09-56-37_537.jpg

2014-05-31_10-10-47_810.jpg

2014-05-31_14-14-21_226.jpg

here it is filling, and my old intex sacrificing its water in the name of a bigger, better pool.

2014-05-31_14-13-55_617.jpg

2014-05-31_14-13-12_924.jpg

Any finished fill pics? I saw you mentioned elsewhere that it was full and not to swim for a week. I don't believe that a human body could dent the bottom of a full pool that holds thousands of pounds of water but that's just me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any finished fill pics? I saw you mentioned elsewhere that it was full and not to swim for a week. I don't believe that a human body could dent the bottom of a full pool that holds thousands of pounds of water but that's just me.

i agree and for the record.... we only held off til thursday.... :p

and im uploading pics now..... pool has been backfilled, dirt raked. ready for sod this next saturday. Im still bringing in dirt to fill up between porch and pool where we are pouring concrete. a few more tractor loads and Ill be ready to move in the sand and start forming up for concrete. Electrician will be out monday or tuesday to finish up. confer curved steps installed with custom fabricated aluminum brackets instead of those ultra ugly deck supports. i went ahead and added the second skimmer and return on the north end, as I could see that bugs were always going to be piled up around my stairs everytime we wanted to get into pool. i have even plumbed the 2 waterfall fountains... but they still need a little tweaking.... i think some will be interested in how I plumbed them and hid 90% of the plumbing....

How do the kids like the pool? Did they go swimming yet? Can't wait to see more pics! Good call on the extra skimmer. I think the oval pools should come with 2 skimmers anyway.

for anyone interested. I drilled holes in the stairs for water entry, then I made (10) 23 inch long 4 inch pvc sand tubes and (5) 18 inch long 4 inch pvc sand tubes (275 lbs total) and put them on a shelf underneath that I made out of the confer deck supports. ;) The stair brackets were made from a 1 inch strip of aluminum stock from Home Depot for $9.00 and held with band clamps on the steps and self tapping sheet metal screws on the top cap. You need a bench vise, a hammer (preferably a soft blow) for bending the metal, a hacksaw for cutting, a file for knocking down the corners and deburring. (or in my case, a bench grinder) :p

aluminum, while rust resistant, can and will oxidize so you might plan on painting them later when they start looking bad. also, I plan on tossing the band clamps at the end of every season and buying new ones every year as they will rust. 2 bucks a year for new ones is nothing. the steps hardly move at all.

for the waterfall fountains, I ran 3/4 inch pvc off the return side. I used a hole saw and drilled into the side of the hollow pool support. To keep everything out of view and clean looking, I ran the pvc up inside pool support, then I drilled another hole in the side of the pool support under the top rail to bring the pvc out of the support and keep it out of view. Pvc comes back out into valve, and curves into drilled pipe. All you see is the valve and the drilled pipe. :p

the fountains will work fine, once I put some valves on my returns to increase pressure to them, as with 2 returns going, they barely clear the top rail. I also am going to redo the fountain itself to be positioned flush with the top of the top rail, as its too low and a lot of the water hits the top rail. Once im done with concrete and sod Ill go back and redo the fountains. I plan on taking one of the snap on caps to Home depot or Lowes and having some paint mixed to match the pool top rails. Once I paint the fountains to match, they should all but disappear. :cool:

How do the kids like the pool? Did they go swimming yet? Can't wait to see more pics! Good call on the extra skimmer. I think the oval pools should come with 2 skimmers anyway.

they did and they loved it. The extra skimmer and return were well worth the $$$ and effort, as I hardly ever have to skim it with a net now. Notice in my pics where the second return is? Right behind my confer curved steps. aimed downward. That ought to help keep algae in check. :cool:

I so remember the days last summer when I had paneling laid down on the ground to walk to the pool so we weren't covered in mud!

The pool turned out great! Hope you and your family enjoy it for many summers!

I so remember the days last summer when I had paneling laid down on the ground to walk to the pool so we weren't covered in mud!

The pool turned out great! Hope you and your family enjoy it for many summers!

im working on forming for the concrete as we speak. It hasnt been easy. I had to go get 3/4 in plywood for the forms as the pool is 22 inches above ground, which is a 7 inch step up from our porch. We are doing a monolithic pour with a footer on 3 sides (pool side and ends). This footer will be 12 inches wide and 20 inches thick. I will build up the rest with dirt and sand before compacting with a plate compactor so the rest of the slab will be 4-5 inches thick. Its costing me $400.00 in lumber just to form up this thing. luckily, im looking at 800.00 in concrete (approx 7 yards) and a hundred bucks to each of my father in laws two laborers for doing the pour. So ill be into the concrete for about 1400.00. We may stamp it to for a couple hundred more if my father in law can lay his hands on the stamps. :p

hopefully when the concrete cures, I can get the plywood between the concrete and pool out..... :eek:... :eek:... :eek:

the concrete will be 5 inches away from pool top rail to allow for room to stretch a new liner in the future. I am toying with 2 different ideas to fill in the void between pool and concrete.

Idea #1. Trax decking. It is 5.5 inches wide and I would only need 2 16 foot 4 inch boards. I would then put 4x4 posts in the ground every 16 inches, not concreted, that way they can be removed later for liner change, and attach the decking to the tops of the 4x4s to fill in the gap.

Idea #2. I will have some extra sand left over, I thought about shoveling it into the void within about 7 inches of the top rail and watering in it and letting it dry out for several days to pack the sand nice and tight. Then I would get some pavers (3.5 inches thick each) and do a double row of pavers in the void. Then down the road, when the day comes we need a new liner, Ill just pry the pavers out, have liner installed, and put pavers back.

The only thing about idea #2 that is of a bit of concern to me, is that I will have essentially buried my pool all the way up. Granted, its sand that will be about 10 inches in width between the concrete and pool for about 15 inches in depth, and I cant see for the life of me that putting much of any weight on the walls, but to winterize every year, this pool will have to be drained 1 foot down to get below skimmers and returns. So the sand would be pushing against the pool wall with no water on the other side.

UPDATE: Concrete done. that was a chore. took me 500 bucks worth of plywood and 2x6s to form it up since footing was 22 inches thick! 8 yards of concrete, 1 ran over by the concrete truck crape myrtle bush, and one panicked pool owner when the concrete truck driver accidently unlocked the chute almost causing us to fill the pool with concrete instead of the forms later..... and we are good!:cool:

forms with sand, footing dug

IMG_20140628_093917258.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20140628_094111754.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

bonding for concrete, this was done in two places when I rebared the footing.

IMG_20140628_093934616.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

concrete poured, patiently waiting to pull forms off and see what we got, 8 agonizing hours later.

IMG_20140628_155500693.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20140629_124502372.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20140629_124428921_HDR.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20140629_124441521.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20140629_124532657_HDR.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

sod added around pool. now we can start landscaping...

Very nice!!! :) I like this setup a lot. I am really thinking if we upgrade to a real AGP I want to go oval.

8 Hour wait time to pull off the forms? Interesting! Here in FL I had a 30x40 garage built 6" pad with 22"x28 footers... about 30-45 minutes after the last truck they pulled my forms. :) And that was in July. It was the new hydraulic concrete though that doesn't require rebar except for the footers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.