Trouble Removing Saltwater Generator to clean - water flow

Jul 13, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Good afternoon,

I'm looking to inspect/clean my saltwater cell but for the life of me I can't get the water to stop flowing when removing the salt cell. The power to the pump is off. I've tried putting the sand filter in all kinds of positions (waste, backwash, closed etc.) that might keep water out of the return line where the saltwater cell sits. Maybe I misunderstand how the filter plays into this. As well, I've shut off all Jandy valves, except that the pool return has an electronically controlled switch that sends water back to the pool via a waterfall or the main return.

The only thing I can think of is this - the Jandy valve right before the filter basket on the main pump doesn't shut fully. So, even when put in the off position, water sneaks through, but I can move fast and clear debris from the strainer basket - could that be the issue? Need a new Jandy valve before I could pull out the salt cell?

Thanks for any pointers - didn't figure that this would be that complicated!

I took mine out the other day and took it to the PS for testing. It's above the water level so I didn't give it a thought. When I came back, I'd dumped about 6 inches of water in what I can only assume was an unintended siphon. If the pad is above water level, try removing the pump basket lid to introduce some air and break the vacuum.

Yeah, the pool equipment is definitely at the lowest point - it is an inground pool with infinity edge, and the pool pump and filter sits alongside the overflow basin. So, yeah, gravity is not my friend here. I didn't expect to have such a strong flow - with all the Jandy valves closed, thought that would do the trick. Anyway, sounds like I'll have to work on my plugging pool pipe game......sounds wet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.