Release Valve broke, leaving part of the valve in the top of my DE4800 assembly

patplh

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2009
Massachusetts
Every year, I manage to break something new. This year, I hope this is the only thing.
I was replacing the pressure gauge and added pvc tape and greased the o rings. I thought i was in good shape and then i screwed the release valve into the top of the DE filter enclosure and it seemed tight, but then i twisted it a bit more and suddenly was able to keep turning, so i turned more and then snap, it broke off, leaving part of the valve in the assembly.
1. How do I get it out? Do i use a drill?
2. Is it possible that the thread in the top of the enclosure is stripped and that's why i was able to keep turning? If so, how do I fix that? Is it worth replacing the top cover or just getting a new filter?

Thanks, as always!
Patty

Happened to me, too. Most likely the plastic just got brittle.

Did it break off flush, or is there still a collar of plastic left above the O-ring? If the collar is still there, a pair of pliers is your friend.

You should be able to wedge something in there and just unscrew it. A chisel, a table knife, anything metal the right width. Just press it in, maybe tap on it with a hammer so it cuts in, and then unscrew.

You are the best. got a screw driver.. tapped it in and voila, was able to unscrew it.
Thanks again - You've responded to a bunch of my other posts too.. really appreciate it!! I probably would have destroyed it with a drill .. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.